No, you probably didn't gain weight...

Replies

• therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    I am totally adding this to my list of useful links that I show to people who ask the same questions which are on the boards over and over again. Thank you.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Great post, Kayla - very well said!
    Some of the topics in the forums would be best put into a wiki for people to access instead of having the discussion over and over and over again...

While I agree about the wiki, TBH I suspect that people would still start these threads though simply because they don't know where to look for answers, especially if they are new to MFP/healthier living. And I think it's probably very easy for some people to be utterly deflated by what the scales tell them - after all, for some people, a lot of poor health and nutrition is an emotional thing anyway, so it stands to reason that an unexpected (apparent) gain is going to elicit an emotional response, leading to frantic posting on the boards. I think people just need a bit of reassurance that they are 'normal' and that what is happening to them happens to others. Some people respond better to being told personally, rather than reading a wiki entry. :smile:
  • Trafty024
    Trafty024 Posts: 57 Member
    So let's say I did eat 3500 cal OVER in a day (you know, in theory only...) that doesn't mean I'll automatically gain 1 lb the next day...right? My question that I've never been able to find a solid answer to is how long it does take?
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    So let's say I did eat 3500 cal OVER in a day (you know, in theory only...) that doesn't mean I'll automatically gain 1 lb the next day...right? My question that I've never been able to find a solid answer to is how long it does take?

This is a good question and I have no idea how to answer.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member

Actually, in theory, you would. In reality all of the calorie counts and energy burns are estimates, so your gain may likely be more or less than a pound, and there will also be water weight gain and other stuff factored in (eating that many calories usually comes with excess sodium/sugars), so the scale will likely show *more* than a pound gained... only some of which is actual fat gain.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member

This is a good question and I have no idea how to answer.

this is a really good question... Mathmatically, yes, if you ate 3500 calories of your maintainence then by all mathmatically stand points, yes you should gain one pound of legitmate weight. If you feed your body above what it can process in a day it will store it as fat, does this happen if you only do it one day? maybe maybe not, infact you would probably be sick and on the toilet getting rid of most of it. lol I am not sure.
  • MOOOSEEE3
    MOOOSEEE3 Posts: 218 Member
    Great post. Hopefullly this will explain A LOT to the people who don;t really understand this kind of thing. Thanks for posting
  • mamijujuphat
    mamijujuphat Posts: 407 Member
    Now this is a great read...thanks for posting:smile:
  • Great post!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Great post! So many people unnecessarily obsess over EVERY single aspect of weight loss. Bottom line: make healthy choices, maintain a reasonable caloric intake, and exercise. One bad weekend won't undo all your hard work.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    A great post - thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • bkthomas2004
    bkthomas2004 Posts: 130 Member
    Thanks for this!!!!!
  • bkthomas2004
    bkthomas2004 Posts: 130 Member
    Thanks for this!!!!!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    It saddens me that there has to be a thread, which will probably be read by only a tiny proportion of the members, that "states the bleedin' obvious" so to speak

Wouldn't it be great if new members, on registering, received an email saying "You need to read this" which contained all of this basic information, and corrected a lot of the misconceptions that people have?
  • kimmerroze
    It saddens me that there has to be a thread, which will probably be read by only a tiny proportion of the members, that "states the bleedin' obvious" so to speak

Wouldn't it be great if new members, on registering, received an email saying "You need to read this" which contained all of this basic information, and corrected a lot of the misconceptions that people have?

I agree, kinda like a short book,. and then it could be a tab up at the top that is easily accessable for those who need to go back and re read things.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Nice post :wink:
  • Jonicha26
    Jonicha26 Posts: 107 Member
    I really do wish MFP had a sort of orientation manual that explains all of this when you first join. Most of us on the site just want to lose weight... we didn't come in already equipped with the mathematical "how to." As someone who hates math and numbers, I really enjoyed reading this! It made it so simple and understandable... I'm really trying to get better at all these formulas and things so I am not just guessing and supposing. It makes everything seem much more attainable when you know how it works.

Thanks for posting! :)
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Nice post! I do want to point out one other variable that you eluded to in one of your responses, but it can make a lot of difference in the numbers. The amount of bodily waste that is retained at any given time will affect what your scale will show you. *Alert potty talk* 1 pint/473ml of urine weighs roughly one pound. Stool is another thing that will change your scale reading.smiley-fart004.gif Ask any old wrestler about that.. A good rule of thumb that not everyone seems to know or follow is to weigh in the morning, AFTER going to the bathroom. Anyway, just wanted to be a part of this awesomeness!! Thanks for posting!!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    I really do wish MFP had a sort of orientation manual that explains all of this when you first join.

That would be great. It would also weed out 85%+ of the people here who can't be bothered to do any reading or self-education, and instead rely on old wives tales, superstition, and what their friend's trainer said.
  • kimmerroze
    Nice post! I do want to point out one other variable that you eluded to in one of your responses, but it can make a lot of difference in the numbers. The amount of bodily waste that is retained at any given time will affect what your scale will show you. *Alert potty talk* 1 pint/473ml of urine weighs roughly one pound. Stool is another thing that will change your scale reading.smiley-fart004.gif Ask any old wrestler about that.. A good rule of thumb that not everyone seems to know or follow is to weigh in the morning, AFTER going to the bathroom. Anyway, just wanted to be a part of this awesomeness!! Thanks for posting!!

so true. I think that is why mathmatically it all works out, but not always 100% in real life. there are so many factors, how much food you just ate, or water you just drank, or how long ago you went to the bathroom, are you weighing naked or clothed? etc... weight is such a variable thing, but I think people stress the most when they have eaten a bad meal so they know that the scale is going to rise, but they didn't realize it would effect the scale that much. And I think lots of people hold very many misconceptions about how working out effects your body in regards to weight loss... and while there is some truth in all things, lots of stuff is taken waaay out of context and twisted. which leaves all of us less knowledgeable people dumbfounded and confused.
This discussion has been closed.