No More Rants About Skinny People!

Options
2»

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I see people going on and on about "skinny b*tches" on this site daily,yet if at the same time someone was to start posts complaining about "fat B*tches" it would be removed.Its a major double standard
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    The point is you are telling people they cannot start posts about skinny people. Where do you draw the line on topics up for discussion?

Read the title again, honey.
    It says no more RANTS about Skinny People.
    That's a little different than posts, don't you think?

Honey ,no it's the same thing. a rant on here is in the form of a post ...isn't it ????
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, this site confuses me. People seem to find controversy where, as I see it, none exists.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, this site confuses me. People seem to find controversy where, as I see it, none exists.

I :heart: controversy (im a bored housewife lol)
  • exercisarah
    Options
    THANK YOU! i'm at a healthy weight, and it's even a low weight for my bmi, and i've been told numerous times that i'm TOO skinny, but i don't always see it as a compliment. Just because i'm "skinny" doesn't make a difference. I'm human, and being skinny doesn't mean i automatically stop being self conscious. Though we may all be different weights, we're all still human. thank you for posting this!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Political correctness gone mad ..........at it's best. This unhealthy, big person is off to run some errands...........ooops hope that I didn't offend anyone saying BIG :wink:
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Political correctness gone mad ..........at it's best. This unhealthy, big person is off to run some errands...........ooops hope that I didn't offend anyone saying BIG :wink:

Sarcasm at it's finest. [:
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, this is basically a fitness website and when I first joined, all I received was support and advice. It should still be the same now. It's all down to individual differences...I was 150lbs a few weeks back (prior to finishing my degree) and loads of my friends and family told me that I had lost too much weight. Now to other people 150lbs may seem like a big size or a small size. We all have to remember that we're all different heights and we all have different goals. Whether it's to get to a healthy 105 or a healthy 180, does it really matter? We should all support each other....

Remember, you may be on the otherside of a computer, but words on a screen can hurt just as badly as words spoken!

xx
  • FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This sit is not called my fatness pal or my skinnynes pal it's called my FITNESS pal.

LOLz....

While I like the sentiment of the original poster, I fear visceral reponses on topics people feel deeply about are a foregone conclusion. That and people in general had a tendency to be very imprecise when they talk/type resulting in literal and contextual meaning not being interpreted as the same.
  • LaurieBLouise
    LaurieBLouise Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that your beautifully worded post turned into this. Just stop responding to this negativity. It's obviously coming from someone who finds negativity in a lot more than just this site.
  • SommerJo
    SommerJo Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Your heart's in the right place :)

But people rant about the obese all the time -- in forums and in blogs. Sometimes it's not in the title -- so maybe you don't notice. But I read several a day.

Recently I read my first rant about skinny people. An expression of frustration that some people just don't know when to stop. I read concern in that post as well -- concern that sometimes, some people took thinness to unhealthy levels. And propogated unhealthy "how to be thin like me" ideas.

Personally -- I was surprised at first when I saw fit and healthy people on here -- I thought automatically -- "what the...??" But there are really awesome fit people here -- supportive and motivating and beautiful all around. And there are nasty scrawny people on here that find ways to dig at others. Sometimes they don't discriminate -- other times its aimed at FAT people, overweight, obese....whatever.

It'd be nice if everyone could get along and be sensitive to each other.

Ask not what MFP can do for you -- but what you can do for MFP...right? Keep spreading your positive messages :) Skinny or Fat -- we all hope the negative nellies will get the hint.
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    I'm one of those skinny people...looking to lose the fat around my middle. And this site has been working for me. I learned how to eat more often, drink lots of water. I've lost a couple of pounds (which I really wasn't looking for), but my dimensions have definitely changed. No one here has ever been unkind. BUT, if I ever say anything to my coworkers, they immediately sneer and mention "skinny". But it's usually from the overweight ones who probably don't care to do anything for themselves. I'm OK with it.:flowerforyou:
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, this is basically a fitness website and when I first joined, all I received was support and advice. It should still be the same now. It's all down to individual differences...I was 150lbs a few weeks back (prior to finishing my degree) and loads of my friends and family told me that I had lost too much weight. Now to other people 150lbs may seem like a big size or a small size. We all have to remember that we're all different heights and we all have different goals. Whether it's to get to a healthy 105 or a healthy 180, does it really matter? We should all support each other....

Remember, you may be on the otherside of a computer, but words on a screen can hurt just as badly as words spoken!

xx
    Yes what happend to all the nice helpful members of MFP. Did they leave, because we have some new ugly members? I used to love to read the post, because it helped me and sometimes I was able to share some of my knowlege.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    *sigh*
  • mauck7
    mauck7 Posts: 74
    Options
    This whole topic and the negativity it brought... is worse then the posts it was aming at in the first place.
    Funny how that works.
  • Macy_R
    Macy_R Posts: 91
    Options
    Just goes to show you that even though you were trying to do good, people try to tear ya down and make you think that their view points or what they are doing is right.

I'm sooooo sick of people trying to tell people to be "less sensitive"! This site is here to help people loss, maintain, and gain weight! It should be a safe haven for people to come here and feel like everyone is supporting them(because there is a reason all of us are on this site)...if you try and push away "skinny" people from this site (where it's trying to promote a healthy way of life), that person could go and try harmful ways to lose the weight, because EVERYONE has things they don't like about themselves or the way they look and sometimes people will do whatever it takes to achieve what they think is beautiful or accepted! I don't think you should use terms or actions to try and make someone feel not wanted here, because that'll just make that person's insecurities grow...

I dunno if that made any sense but I just had to comment because I agree with the 1st post and some of the people that commented on here made me angry!!!