Question for the larger (or previously larger) MFP women

Options
2»

Replies

• AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    When I first started out I was 220 lbs. and I did the Biggest Loser Cardio Max and Power Sculpt videos. They were nice because they give a lot of modifications. I'm currently doing 30DS and Zumba and I even though it probably would have kicked my butt I think I would have been able to handle those at a higher weight with modifications too. I've heard Leslie Sansome's walking DVD's are good but I've never done one. I think the best is to try everything and find what you love and what your body can handle.
  • PNWriter
    PNWriter Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I started MFP at 285 and back then there was no WAY I could do a walk let alone zumba, etc. Today, 41 pounds lighter, I can do the elliptical for 30 minutes (I started at 5 min) and walk a few miles....but I still have trouble with Zumba. I bought the DVDs a few weeks ago and tried it. Ouch. My knees were crackling like crazy. So, for now, they're in my DVD drawer waiting for another 20 pounds till I try them again.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    At 295 I started taking karate/kickboxing at my dojo. I couldn't do everything exactly right right away but I did the best I could.

200-211 I did the above a bit better and added EA Sports Active the 9 week program on hard to my routine.

200-to Now... I am doing p90x.... I can't do everything on it just right, but I am close and I do as much as I can.

Point is... everything is mod-able for a bigger person to do. You just gotta go ahead and do as much as you can. You will gradually get better, or be able to do more longer.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I started out at 282...I "run" (jog) multiple times a week, do Zumba weekly, have done many P90X videos, have done the Biggest Loser Last Chance Workout DVD several times. It's all a matter of listening to your body and knowing when you've reached your limit but still being able to push yourself.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I started out at 282...I "run" (jog) multiple times a week, do Zumba weekly, have done many P90X videos, have done the Biggest Loser Last Chance Workout DVD several times. It's all a matter of listening to your body and knowing when you've reached your limit but still being able to push yourself.

Agreed!
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much to all who posted- so much great feedback, and so many great suggestions! :)
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I started at 264 and I did everything. I actually started with Your Shape by Jenny McCarthy for the Wii. It was tough but I pushed through. In hindsight... my knees did not thank me for that at all. Now at 200 and even like 10-15lbs ago... my knees were much more forgiving. :)
  • laneyh42
    laneyh42 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels Shred It With Weights is low impact. Very doable.