TMI Warning: Poo Help!

Options
This is probably WAY more information than anyone wants to know, but I've been 'backed up' for the past few days. I bought some Phillips this morning, but, I'm afraid to take it. I did try eating a bunch of fruit, berries, and melon, drinking a bunch of water and other home remedies to help move things along... Nothing seems to be helping. So... anyone have any experience with Phillips? :blushing:
I feel REALLY weird for asking this by the way...

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    ummm.. it gave me some pretty bad cramps but it is effective. I tend to go with correctol but sometimes I have to do more than one round to get some relief.

hope that wasn't TMI.
    good luck!
  • Mandy50401
    Options
    No i have never tried that. I would recommend using dulcolax and watching your wheat intake. I recently bacame milk and wheat intollerrant and when i was backed up i either took dulcolax or i drank tons of coffee. Another thing that might help is taking vitamins. That helps me also.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have the problem, I usually try to eat one meal high in fat.....the fat seems to help push things through for whatever reason....and I follow it up with lots and lots of water!
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Miralax one capful of powder a day in juice/water, also stool softners and plenty of water. I work for a GI dr
  • cathy0730
    cathy0730 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have only taken Phillip's once. I mixed it with 4ounces of water and had good results with no cramping.. Good luck!!!! :smile:
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    As I am anemic, I have to take an iron supplement. One of the side effects? Constipation. A simple OTC stool softener for a day or so is probably all you need ... along with LOTS of water. Doesn't cause any bloating/cramping ... OR the need to 'rush' to the bathroom when it kicks in! Good luck :)
  • sarahbeth17
    sarahbeth17 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    philips didn't work for me either, there is a tea called dieters tea that works very well every time and adding flax seed to your diet will help.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    have a beer or two, that should get things moving
  • losinfat4good
    Options
    Fiber bars or exlax
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Never take a laxative with a sleeping pill.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Never take a laxative with a sleeping pill.
    Bahahahahahahahahahaha!

thanks for the advice!
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've had good, gentle, usually overnight relief with Phillips. Nothing to send me running, but gentle enough to move things.
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have to take a mega dose of iron daily, but take a 500 mg tablet of magnesium before bed every nite and I have no TMI problems at all.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I just had to use them a few months ago. I had surgery and was on bed rest and combination of medications, surgery, etc messed up my insides pretty bad. I took Phillips and about 2 hours later was quite happy that I had.

Just beware taking them before bed or going out so you don't get in a 'must go' situation and you are not able to do so quickly.

Good luck!
  • rachelllk
    rachelllk Posts: 63
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean Crunch...one serving of that every morning and you'll never be backed up again!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I've NEVER in my life dealt with constipation as much as I have the last month or so. I find if I eat a Fiber One fiber bar before bed...then the next morning I have an easier time going. I tend to get constipated with the anticipation of weigh-in day. It's very weird. I've always gone a lot and never had trouble going. I'm an oddity. I've never tried pills...kind of scared of having the runs in a random place so that option has not been used.
  • grace1611
    grace1611 Posts: 55
    Options
    flax seeds work well . Grind them up mix them with a little juice. Or chick peas .
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I keep a tub of sunsweet prunes in the back of my fridge. Eat 3-5 at night right before bed and usually go in the morning.
    No worries - I've seen worse TMI's..LOL
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    One person mentioned FAT. Thats a good idea. When i ate crap i had to crap all the time lol. Had lots of fat in the food. Protein doesn't produce much bulk in your stool either neither does simple vegetable fibers. On a healthy low fat diet i go sometimes every day and sometimes every other day. Magnesium helps, Metamucil as well. Prunes oh yea. Make sure you get enough water!
  • STR0NGisSEXY
    STR0NGisSEXY Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    For future reference, this is what the dr. told me is constipating (which i didn't know some of this!)

Constiptating:
    Any kind of rice
    Bread / Crackers (even if it's whole grain!)
    Cheese / Dairy products (except yogurt)
    Any Potatoes other than Sweet Potatoes

NOT Constipating:
    Things that HELP (but need to be eaten with plenty of non-carbonated water for them to help!)
    Apples with skin (and with 2 glasses of water)
    Pears with skin (and with 2 glasses of water)
    1 Cup Raspberries (with 4 glasses of water)
    Nectarine (with 2 glasses of water)

Any of the following with 2 glasses of water:
    Artichokes
    Spinach
    Corn
    Peas
    Squash
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Sweet Potatoes

Oatmeal or Raisin Bran followed by 3 glasses of water
    1 Cup of Beans followed by 3 or 4 glasses of water
    Handful of Nuts or Popcorn with 2 glasses of water

Decrease any coffee, tea (except chamomile), ice tea, soda, alcohol, pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, cheese, and dairy with the exception of yogurt.

Also, you (EVERYONE) should be using a fiber POWDER product daily (Citrucel doesn't cause bloating or cramping). The non powder forms (like the pills and things) don't absorb the same or work as well. The fiber powder needs to be followed with 2-3 glasses of water. If necessary stool softeners can be used, but store bought laxatives really aren't good for you..

I know it seems like a lot.. but it really helps a lot. And once you learn it, it becomes a habit and no longer a hassle.

Good luck!