Single cup coffee makers???

Options
So im looking to get one of those single cup coffee makers and it seems all of the pod/packets that these machines use are filled with preservatives, hydrogenated oils, and artificial flavors...

For example here is the ingreidant list to a cup from the Keurig

CREAMER (HYDROGENATER COCONUT OIL, GLUCOSE SYRUP, SODIUM CASEINATE (FROM MIK), SODIUM POLYPHOSPHATE, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM STEAROYL-2-LACTYLATE, SILICON DIOXIDE), SUGAR, ALKALIZED COCOA POWDER, MALTODEXTRIN, SALT, SILICON DIOXIDE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, SUCRALOSE.

even the green tea in a few of these have artificial flavor.

Anyone own one of these things???

Whats your take on them.

Ive also looked into the Tassimo and Fusion brewers and they all seem to have the same prob.

Replies

• kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    yuck! Seriously? I had no idea.

Totally not worth it in my opinion. Stick to the brew coffee.
  • kanga1980
    kanga1980 Posts: 22
    Options
    Just get the plain ol' coffee pods and add some sweetner or almond milk yourself. You must be looking at a fancy concoction.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I bought a Keurig for my GF for Valentine's Day this year and we love it. She uses it a lot more than I do. I've never been much of a coffee person, but I enjoy some of the teas and hot chocolate (during the cold months). It's awesome for us because she was making a pot of coffee and pouring half of it down the sink bc I didn't drink any. Plus a TON of different styles out there to try. Lots of places to order different kinds on line. I think it is well worth the money, even if it doesn't get used everyday. Also great for parties and people can choose their own flavor they would like to have. Highly recommend it. I haven't taken too much time too look into the ingredients as I don't drink it all that often.
  • jml107
    jml107 Posts: 27
    Options
    I was a little shocked to read that. I just buy whole beans, get them ground, and brew my morning coffee in a French Press. It's healthy, super low calorie (about 3-5 calories per 16 oz of coffee), and delicious. I then use Truvia no calorie, all natural sweetner. Yum!
  • WifedUpMartin
    WifedUpMartin Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My grandpa has a Keurig and has the attatchment where you can put your own personal choice of coffee in it and it will make you a cup of that instead of putting one of those pods in.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    What kind of k-cup are you using??? I just looked at the three I have, and they are just plain coffee ones (different roasts) and the only ingredient is 100% Pure something coffee (i walked away and already forgot haha).
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    It will depend on which kind you get- if you go after a mocha or flavored brew, you're bound to get some additives. I like the Keurig Donut Shop, and that's just plain old coffee. Delicious, yummy, coffee.
  • Ladydi1982
    Ladydi1982 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Just get the plain ol' coffee pods and add some sweetner or almond milk yourself. You must be looking at a fancy concoction.

I agree. Newman's Own is a great one because they use organic coffee and that's it. I add my own creamer (coffee mate fat free french vanilla - yum!)
  • mejustmichael
    mejustmichael Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    What kind of k-cup are you using??? I just looked at the three I have, and they are just plain coffee ones (different roasts) and the only ingredient is 100% Pure something coffee (i walked away and already forgot haha).

The one i was looking at was a specitay drink....

IDK i wonder how good the coffee really is... i love my coffee press but im always late to everything... then grouchy because i didnt have time to make coffee in the morning.

So in short im looking for a way to better humanity by getting my coffee on those late mornings.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    i have a keurig elite and i LOVE it. i like the donut shop k-kup as well. so good! its definitely a good investment. i don't waste coffee...

Also, they do sell a k-cup that is re-usable that you can put your own ground coffee in.. its about 15-20$ depending on where you get it, but if youre worried about the preservatives in the k-kups than it's a good investment. especially since $20 and another maybe $10 for your own coffee is cheaper than getting 18 k-kups... something to think about :)
  • nickicaylor
    Options
    I have a Keurig and love it ! However it depends on what kinds of coffee that you buy for it. A lot of the flavored coffees have additives where the plains, roasted, and robust are the same as ll other coffees
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I have one and would not trade it for anything (maybe a new car) but I love mine. And yes you can get an attachment for your own coffee or loose tea. In summer I do Iced Coffee so yummy and Iced Tea. Never could make a decent cup of coffee and no waste or clean up
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have a Keurig and love it. But I just use it for coffee, not the specialty stuff. You can get a single cup filter for it and use your favorite branf, no need to purchase the Kcups.
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I also have a Keurig and love it and use only the plain coffee pods, only flavor one I get that I am unsure about its folgers vanilla biscotti which is so good but I didnt check whats in that and dont have it all the time.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options

The one i was looking at was a specitay drink....

IDK i wonder how good the coffee really is... i love my coffee press but im always late to everything... then grouchy because i didnt have time to make coffee in the morning.

So in short im looking for a way to better humanity by getting my coffee on those late mornings.

You just have to find the ones you like... try getting a sampler pack and figuring out which types you like. I love the Gloria Jean ones, and the Donut Shop ones are good, as other people have mentioned.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options

IDK i wonder how good the coffee really is...

Buy Green Mountain Coffee. It's great.

I have a keurig and I love it.

Also... straight off the Green Mountain (owners of Keurig) website:
    Nutritional Information
    Our flavored coffees are free of calories and carbs, and have no additional nutritional impact. We add no sugars or sweeteners of any kind. So while our flavors may taste indulgent, they're absolutely guilt-free.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    <Allergies are making my eyes blurry so I'm not reading thru all the posts.
    I apologize if I duplicate!>

My husband bought me a keurig bec I'm a coffee fanatic and he thought I'd love it. While I do like it, I sadly miss my delonghi coffee/espresso machine. Sigh.

I found most of the kcups to be subpar (and quite expensive)

So....hubby to the rescue bought me a solofill "permanent" filter, which is a little cup u can fill with your own coffee and I fill it with my favorite fairway coffees. Much better!

One more point: I like a LARGE coffee. My machine makes 6, 8 or 10oz.
    Not gonna cut it.
    I have to double brew each time I have coffee.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    So im looking to get one of those single cup coffee makers and it seems all of the pod/packets that these machines use are filled with preservatives, hydrogenated oils, and artificial flavors...

For example here is the ingreidant list to a cup from the Keurig

CREAMER (HYDROGENATER COCONUT OIL, GLUCOSE SYRUP, SODIUM CASEINATE (FROM MIK), SODIUM POLYPHOSPHATE, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM STEAROYL-2-LACTYLATE, SILICON DIOXIDE), SUGAR, ALKALIZED COCOA POWDER, MALTODEXTRIN, SALT, SILICON DIOXIDE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, SUCRALOSE.

even the green tea in a few of these have artificial flavor.

Anyone own one of these things???

Whats your take on them.

Ive also looked into the Tassimo and Fusion brewers and they all seem to have the same prob.

I have used lots of different brands of coffee and teas, I have used the hot chocolate, apple cider, Chai Latte (fabulous) I have used bulk coffee, you can use it for just water for tea bags, instant coffee, you swiss miss hot cocoas etc you are not just stuck with k-kups
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    Nespresso. Way better tasting. Not as much choice... but waaaay better tasting. They have a few 'seasonal' flavored coffees (like 3 and they're not the same from year to year), the rest are just blend / strength variations. Straight coffee/espresso, nothing fru fru.

If you like french press in lieu of a pod machine, I have an Espro double filtered french press. Makes a smooth cup of coffee, but as far as I know it's only made in an 8 oz size. Like any french press, it is a little messy to clean up.

Keurig works, it's consistent, and it's better than cruddy coffee. But it's never great coffee and can't do espresso.

If you drink in large volumes/large cups, the Nespresso isn't a good choice, but for a pod machine it does an incredibly strong, smooth shot and it's no fuss/no thinking, like the keurig.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Keurig works, it's consistent, and it's better than cruddy coffee. But it's never great coffee and can't do espresso.

Umm...they actually do have great coffee. And you can do espresso. Perhaps not like a 500 dollar espresso machine. But Green Mountain does make a "Dark Magic Espresso" blend.