Jogging vs Intervals?

Options
I've been jogging for about 2 months now. I jog 2 miles a day, I try to go at least 5-6 days a week. For the last couple of days I've decided to switch it up a bit and instead of just jogging the whole 2 miles, which had become easier, to sprint the straight part of the track, powerwalk/jog the curve, and continue this for the full 2 miles. I am feeling it MUCH more than I was when I was only jogging, but I'm wondering if this is going to be effective? Will I lose more weight doing this in the intervals the way that I have for a couple of days, or should I go back to jogging and try for 2.5-3 miles?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Our bodies get used to what we are doing -- so, switching it up is a good idea. I think you'll lose weight with the intervals too. I've read a lot that said doing that is actually MORE of a workout than straight jogging/running for an extended time. :) If you're feeling it - it is working.
  • chovest81
    chovest81 Posts: 99
    Options
    I think it is great to mix it up. Especially if you are feeling more of it. You may want to try adding weight training to your regimen.
  • villaa
    villaa Posts: 1
    Options
    HeY! I am a personal trainer, and I can tell from experience that interval training is MUCH more effective when trying to loose faT! Good luck!!
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    yes. intervals will build strength and speed. Try a week incorporating some intervals and then go back to jogging and see if you can jog faster ;)
  • Firedup23
    Firedup23 Posts: 11
    Options
    I am no expert but, when you run at a steady pace your heart rate will be (we'll say) 145. When you run itervals your heart rate will spike to 165ish and will slow to around 135ish. That would give you a higher average HR. Typically a higher HR can be more anarobic but in this case it is more benefitial. You burn more calories when your HR fluctuates. So intervals seem more affective!

I think ;-)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    There are multiple methods to improve running ability and fitness when it comes to running/jogging/walking. You can go a further distance, you can go harder/more intense (so, faster) or you can do it more often.

Each of those will improve your fitness. Most serious runners use a combination of these. I have one interval workout scheduled where I run all-out for a short interval, then have a recovery interval, then repeat - this is great for improving speed ability and is considered "HIIT" - you aren't supposed to do this kind of workout back to back, so you really only should be doing this a few times a week at the most. I do it once a week. Then, I have my days where I push myself to go longer distance - I have one long-run day a week where I'm running at a slower speed but longer distances. My other running days are more medium distance where I'm working to improve my pace that I can maintain for longer distances - I'm not pushing myself to the max like with the first workout, but I'm also not going as easy as I am on the days where I'm going my longest distances.

Sooooo..... If I were you I'd mix it up and do intervals on some days but push yourself to go longer distances on other days. You'll benefit from both.
  • Malloryrae1211
    Malloryrae1211 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've read that interval running is much more effective than running alone. I have been interval running and have so much more energy. I run hard for 4 minutes and speed walk for 30 seconds. It gives my body just enough time to catch a small break before pushing myself again. The longest distance I have gone is 10.8 miles like this.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    From what I have read, intervals are a better workout than straight jogging. Here are five benefits to interval training as opposed to straight cardio from military.com:

Appetite: Recent studies in the Journal of Sports Science and Medicine show that subjects who do cardio and muscle toning intervals eat 500 less calories per day after four months than those who did cardio one day and all muscle toning the next. They say the combination can cause a change in hormones that control your hunger.

Stress: The same study showed that being active reduces cortisol levels that are caused by stress.

Endurance: In biking or “ride” classes, the study showed that short high-intensity sessions, sprinkled with recovery instead of steady state pace, boosted endurance.

Metabolism: With interval cardio and muscle training sessions, you can also get the benefits of increased metabolism. If you up the intensity of the workout through alternating cardio and muscle moves, and you increase excess post-exercise oxygen consumption. This is what we trainers call “after burn.” Resistance training builds metabolism-boosting muscle while cardio makes the fat over the muscle disappear. Then after your workout you will continue to burn more calories while reading, watching TV and sleeping.

Better toning: According to a 2008 study published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, women whose muscle routines only included weightlifting gained less muscle strength, added less muscle endurance and lost less body fat compared with those who ran for a minute before each strength set.

Fight osteoporosis: We all know those people, women especially, who only diet and run, bike and do cardio machines. They think skinny is better than toned, sleek, healthy and strong. A hump on your back or a broken hip doesn't look good at any age.

Young women are more prone to stress fractures because of reduced calorie intake and tons of cardio. They don't realize that it's not about being skinny as the Olson twins is not sexy. It's about looking toned, and being strong for everyday life. God forbid you fall into a situation where you need physical strength to save your life, you want to be ready for it. Lifting weights builds strong bones. Use these exercises to improve your posture, defend yourself and walk without a limp. Now that's sexy.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I would do both. Intervals a few times a week and steady jogs other days. I would also add strength training to the routine.
  • tatiana_13
    tatiana_13 Posts: 325
    Options
    Everyone has a different opinion about which is better, or how to do it in the *best* way...but what struck me most is that you *enjoyed* the intervals. Which says to me...keep doing them.

Second, for a while, I jumped on the interval bandwagon and only did intervals for a while (I think of it as HIIT, but, in truth, if you're not already in great shape and have an athletic sensibility, few us really have the discipline to make ourselves do HIIT and are just doing plain intervals). And some people swear by the tried and true endurance/steady state cardio and think the focus on intervals is a fad. But, in my own, personal little anecdotal experience, I've found that a mixture of both works best for me for weight loss. And, each helps improve my performance with the other.

Plus, intervals *are* fun. :wink: And isn't that also what fitness should be about?
  • Malloryrae1211
    Malloryrae1211 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a website I found helpful. http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html :happy: