more ? science of calorie burn

Options
Yesterday I posted on the accuracy of heart rate monitors and there were a number of comments made that have me thinking again (this is never good).

As we become more fit our hearts become more efficient which means that it takes a longer or harder effort to get our heart rates up. I know we want to get our heart rates up for fitness purposes, but does it also have to go up to cardio fitness levels to burn fat? What if your heart rate goes up but not into cardio health range? Honestly, I hate it when my heart rate gets into that 80% or higher level, I prefer to keep it in the lower levels but for a longer period of time.

What about maintanence levels once you reach your goals.? Will we continuously have to increase our exercise just to maintain? Again, intuitively that doesn't make sense, so I'm thinking I'm missing something. I know our bodies adapt but is there a limit to how much they can adapt?

Replies

• lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I posted on the accuracy of heart rate monitors and there were a number of comments made that have me thinking again (this is never good).

As we become more fit our hearts become more efficient which means that it takes a longer or harder effort to get our heart rates up. I know we want to get our heart rates up for fitness purposes, but does it also have to go up to cardio fitness levels to burn fat? What if your heart rate goes up but not into cardio health range? Honestly, I hate it when my heart rate gets into that 80% or higher level, I prefer to keep it in the lower levels but for a longer period of time.

What about maintanence levels once you reach your goals.? Will we continuously have to increase our exercise just to maintain? Again, intuitively that doesn't make sense, so I'm thinking I'm missing something. I know our bodies adapt but is there a limit to how much they can adapt?
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    wHOOOO HOOO....good questions, now for some one who has good answers!:smile:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I know we want to get our heart rates up for fitness purposes, but does it also have to go up to cardio fitness levels to burn fat?
    What if your heart rate goes up but not into cardio health range?
    What about maintanence levels once you reach your goals.?
    Will we continuously have to increase our exercise just to maintain?

here's my understanding:
    Q1 & 2 : No. You can work at a lower HR and still burn calories & fat. The 80% is good for your heart and you burn more calories per hour than you do at 60%, but they both burn calories and fat. You need to get your HR into at least the 120s (for your age), but it doesn't need to get into the 150s to burn fat.
    Q3: You can keep your exercise steady once you reach your goals, you will get those extra calories - since you are maintaining and not losing weight.
    Q4: You will not have to increase your exercise to maintain (unless you eat too much), but studies show you will need to continue to exercise to keep the weight from creeping back on.

Hope that helped.
  • arjames82
    Options
    I found this article on the Polar website and posted it in another forum, but I will post it here as well. Hope it helps some...

Exercise Zones
    Exercise zones are ranges between the lower and upper heart rate limits expressed as beats per minute (bpm) or as percentages of your maximum heart rate (HRmax). HRmax is the highest number of heartbeats per minute during maximum physical exertion.

Heart Rate Target Zones

Exercise can be divided into three different intensity zones. Each of these intensity levels corresponds to various health and fitness improving mechanisms in your body.

Light Intensity Zone

When your heart beats at 60-70% of your HRmax (HRmax %), you are in the Light Intensity Zone. Whether you have just started working out or you exercise fairly regularly, much of your workout will be in this zone. Fat is the body's main source of energy at this level of intensity; therefore this zone is also good for weight control. This intensity still feels fairly easy for most people and provides, for example, the following benefits:

Helps in weight control

Improves endurance

Improves aerobic fitness

Moderate Intensity Zone

Push on to 70-80% of your HRmax, and you are in the Moderate Intensity Zone. This is especially good for people who are exercising regularly. For most people, this is often the fastest pace they can maintain and still remain comfortable and free of pain. Exercising in this zone is particularly effective for improving aerobic (i.e. cardiovascular) fitness. If you are out of shape, your muscles will use carbohydrates for fuel when you are exercising in this zone. As you get fitter, your body starts using a higher and higher percentage of fat for fuel, thus preserving its limited stores of muscle carbohydrate. Exercising in the moderate intensity zone results in some additional benefits:

Improves aerobic fitness

Improves endurance

Helps in weight control

Accustoms your body to exercising at a faster pace

Begins to raise the speed you can maintain without building up lactic acid

Hard Intensity Zone

At 80-90% of your HRmax, you have moved into the Hard Intensity Zone. Exercise in the hard intensity zone definitely feels "hard". You will find yourself breathing heavily, having tired muscles and feeling fatigued. This intensity is recommended occasionally for fit people. Exercising in this zone is intensive, so it provides some unique benefits:

Increases muscles' tolerance to lactic acid

Improves hard, short effort ability

When you exercise in the correct intensity zones, it guarantees your enjoyment in your favorite sports. Alternate between intensity zones to improve your fitness and get variation in your exercise. Remember that the lower the intensity the longer you can comfortably exercise in it. Exercise in the higher intensity for shorter periods.

Note: Polar target heart rate intensity definition is modified from international exercise science authorities' recommendations in which light intensity can reach lower than 60% of HRmax.

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/training_with_polar/training_articles/get_fit/the_three_exercise_zones/exercise_zones
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    oops.
  • arjames82
    Options
    oops.

I saw that original post! Great minds think alike:laugh: