Belly dancing

Options
My friend and I have signed up for belly dancing. I think that I will really enjoy it. Has anyone else ever tried it and do you feel like you have worked out in the end?

Replies

• kris23
    Options
    My friend and I have signed up for belly dancing. I think that I will really enjoy it. Has anyone else ever tried it and do you feel like you have worked out in the end?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Depending on the class, it can be a moderate cardio workout. If you're slowly drilling moves, it's like isometric exercise. But, if you're doing combos, you will sweat. There are a couple of serious dancer types around, who will hopefully also weigh in on the matter.

Fatdancer, emtink. . .that means you.:wink:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have never taken a class but I have bellydancing videos. I do enjoy doing it. It makes me more aware of my core. I normally don't burn a lot of calories doing it because it is low intensity. The exercises are great toning exercises. The first time I did it I got too much into it and ended up with a sore low back so pace yourself. I just rested and stretched and it went away. Enjoy!! :flowerforyou:
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    It does depend on the class.
    Some beginning classes take it slow and really break down moves, so your heart rate doesn't get up much... then others will constantly give you dance combos to do which will.

I teach a belly dance fitness class... in that class I keep them movin' the whole time and we are sweating buckets by the end.
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I took a belly dance class with a friend some years ago and we both enjoyed it. Now, ours was an introductory class, low-intensity and focused on the moves. For me, it was more relaxing as we concentrated on our body's movements versus an intense workout. But, that was just mine, not a fun fitness class like psyknife described!

I hope you enjoy it and have fun! :flowerforyou: