Kale

Options
kaw811
kaw811 Posts: 19 Member
Made sauteed kale tonight. Not one of my favorites but it's full of wonderful nutrients so I'm going to experiment with it more.

Anyone have a favorite recipe? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    have you tried kale chips? there's a recipe for them on the hungrygirl website and they're pretty good.
  • tukrainets
    tukrainets Posts: 119
    Options
    bump :)
  • christabeltoria
    christabeltoria Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump --kale chips are great!

:tongue:
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Love me some kale chips! Just toss with a bit of olive oil and salt - bake in the oven at 350 for 5-10 minutes. So easy and yummy, and it cooks down so much that you get a big volume of kale in just a few "chips".
  • jennlee80
    jennlee80 Posts: 142
    Options
    I just toss the kale with olive oil, little salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. bake for 10-12 minutes on 350.
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are great! Try differnt spices, oh so good!
  • numnumnums
    numnumnums Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    I've made a sausage, white bean, kale soup that was really good. Think I got it from allrecipes.com. There's also a slaw recipe using kale, also from that site, I think.
  • ckintigh
    ckintigh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is our favorite way to eat kale:

BUTTERNUT LASAGNA WITH KALE

1 butternut squash, peeled (I used a potato peeler and it works perfectly)
    1 bunch kale
    1/2 large onion
    3 cloves garlic
    3 Tbsp. olive oil
    salt and pepper
    2 cups diced tomatoes
    1 Tbsp. chopped fresh sage leaves (I used 1 tsp. dried marjoram instead and mixed it with the tomatoes)
    1 cup (or more) mozzarella cheese, for topping

Carefully cut the squash in half lengthwise after peeling, then scoop out the seeds. Place the halves face-down and cut in 1/4 inch thick slices.

Remove and discard the stems from 1 bunch of kale or other greens. I used scissors and cut out the entire stem. Chop the leaves roughly.

Dice 1/2 onion and mince 3 cloves of garlic. Saute the onion in 3 Tbsp. olive oil until soft, then add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the kale and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. (this is yummy just as a side dish, and one of the BEST foods to eat because of its high nutritional value).

Lightly grease a 13-by-9 inch baking dish or large cast iron skillet, then cover with an overlapping layer of squash slices (1/3 of your entire squash). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread the cooked greens over the squash, then make another layer of squash (second third).

Spoon two cups of diced tomatoes and 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh sage leaves (or 1 tsp. dried leaves of whatever spice you want) over this layer, then make another layer of squash. Top with gerated mozzarella.

Bake the casserole at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until it is brown on top and bubbling. (I covered it the entire time as I was worried about it drying out) but you can experiment with that.

Serves 8
    163 calories per serving.
  • kaw811
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe!!
  • kaw811
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    This is our favorite way to eat kale:

BUTTERNUT LASAGNA WITH KALE

Yummmmm. Can't wait to try this one. THANKS!
  • joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My favorite kale recipe is Zuppa Toscana

1lb Italian sausage
    1 yellow onion sliced
    1 tbsp chopped garlic

Sauteed the above together until onion is translucent and sausage is cooked

6 sliced white potatoes
    Bacon crumbled
    1 gallonish water
    Salt, crushed red pepper to taste
    1/4 cup heavy cream

Simmer all together until potatoes are tender. Add kale to taste simmer another 10 minutes.

I got the recipe from a server at Olive Garden, it is my favorite soup. I like a lot of kale, so I add to the pot the amount my husband likes, and then add more to my bowl, then ladle the soup over it.

Love it!!!