Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

heart rate

Whats the optimal heart rate when exercising to burn the most calories?

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    between 40-60% of you target heart rate

target heart rate=
    220- your age

so mine
    220-19=201

then multiply by .4 & .6
  • channy22
    channy22 Posts: 33 Member
    thanks, thats helpful =)
  • barbiex3
    there is also a new craze out there where you do high intensity work outs & it actually burns more calories and fat after your work outs. you can read more about it by googling "HIIT" or High intensity interval training =]
    makes your workouts shorter!
  • bpe101
    bpe101 Posts: 53 Member
    Actually, that's not exactly accurate.

You need to know you resting heart rate also. Let's say you are 20.

You take 220-20=200.

Then you take your resting heart rate, say it is 60, and 200-60=140.

You target heart rate is 50-85% of this number.

So it would be 70-119 beats per minute.
  • channy22
    Ahh I see
  • barbiex3
    uh. i'm almost 100% sure that's not correct but okay.
  • barbiex3

You take 220-20=200.

You target heart rate is 50-85% of this number.

So it would be 70-119 beats per minute.

most people have a resting heart rate of 80, so that would mean that their "target heart rate" is 200-80= 120
    120*.5= 60
    120*.85=102

now why would someone have a target heart rate range of 60-102 if their resting heart rate was 60?
    this is compltely incorrect... sorry.
  • bpe101
    That's ok. It's a common misperception. However, I can assure you it is correct.
  • Pete_Mann
    Pete_Mann Posts: 94
    Nope, BPE is "almost" right.

But don't take my word for it, try the Mayo Clininc:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise-intensity/SM00113
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/interval-training/SM00110

The basic way to calculate your maximum heart rate is to take 220 minus your age. For example, if you're 45 years old, subtract 45 from 220, to get a maximum heart rate of 175. This is the maximum number of times your heart should beat per a minute while you're exercising.

Once you know your maximum heart rate, you can calculate your desired target heart rate zone — the level at which your heart is being exercised and conditioned but not overworked. Working out within your target heart rate zone gives you the best results for burning fat and losing weight. If you work out below that zone, you reduce your exercise intensity, and you may not burn as many calories. If you work out above that zone, you may not be able to work out as long as you planned.

Here's how heart rate matches up with exercise intensity levels:

Light exercise intensity: 40 to 50 percent of your maximum heart rate
    Moderate exercise intensity: 50 to 70 percent of your maximum heart rate
    Vigorous exercise intensity: 70 to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate
  • barbiex3
    That's ok. It's a common misperception. However, I can assure you it is correct.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3030999

american heart association doesn't lie.
  • barbiex3
    Nope, BPE is "almost" right.

But don't take my word for it, try the Mayo Clininc:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise-intensity/SM00113
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/interval-training/SM00110

The basic way to calculate your maximum heart rate is to take 220 minus your age. For example, if you're 45 years old, subtract 45 from 220, to get a maximum heart rate of 175. This is the maximum number of times your heart should beat per a minute while you're exercising.

there was nothing on those websites regarding how to measure heart rate. try american heart association.
    Once you know your maximum heart rate, you can calculate your desired target heart rate zone — the level at which your heart is being exercised and conditioned but not overworked. Working out within your target heart rate zone gives you the best results for burning fat and losing weight. If you work out below that zone, you reduce your exercise intensity, and you may not burn as many calories. If you work out above that zone, you may not be able to work out as long as you planned.

Here's how heart rate matches up with exercise intensity levels:

Light exercise intensity: 40 to 50 percent of your maximum heart rate
    Moderate exercise intensity: 50 to 70 percent of your maximum heart rate
    Vigorous exercise intensity: 70 to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate
  • bpe101
    For the sake of arguing, you said 40-60%, but that website says 60-85%, so either way you are wrong.
  • barbiex3
    are you joking me?
    YOU DO NOT SUBTRACT YOUR RESTING HEART RATE!!
    never.
  • Pete_Mann
    Pete_Mann Posts: 94

there was nothing on those websites regarding how to measure heart rate. try american heart association.

Uh, did you not see the part:
    How to tell if you're in the zone

So how do you know if you're in your target heart rate zone? Use these steps to check your heart rate during exercise:

Stop momentarily.
    Take your pulse for 15 seconds. To check your pulse over your carotid artery, place your index and third fingers on your neck to the side of your windpipe. To check your pulse at your wrist, place two fingers between the bone and the tendon over your radial artery — which is located on the thumb side of your wrist.
    Multiply this number by 4 to calculate your beats per minute.

Here's an example: You stop exercising and take your pulse for 15 seconds, getting 33 beats. Multiply 33 by 4, to get 132. If you're 45 years old, this puts you in the middle of your target heart rate zone for vigorous exercise, since that zone is 123 to 149 beats per minute. If you're under or over your target heart rate zone, adjust your exercise intensity.

Sounds like a way to me.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise-intensity/SM00113/NSECTIONGROUP=2
  • bpe101
    And to let you know where I got my information, I didn't get it off a website. I have a degree in psychology and fitness. I am a life coach. My information is not wrong.
  • bpe101
    Perhaps we are talking about a different target heart rate range. lol. The one I am talking about is what you should strive for when wanting to improve your aerobic performance. The reason it doesn't need to be as high as you think is because you are not trying to stress your heart. You don't need to get it going very hard to see improvements. There are problems with pushing your heart too hard. As I said, there are misconceptions about the target heart range. People think it should be a lot higher than it needs to be.

And I never told anyone to work out BELOW their resting heart rate. I'm not sure where you got that. I was using 60 as an example resting heart rate, which is more ideal than the 80 you seem to think everyone has...
  • channy22
    According to those calculations Im not reaching my target rate =/ It feels like im getting a good workout though, but i get 105-110 generally.
  • barbiex3
    Perhaps we are talking about a different target heart rate range. lol. The one I am talking about is what you should strive for when wanting to improve your aerobic performance. The reason it doesn't need to be as high as you think is because you are not trying to stress your heart. You don't need to get it going very hard to see improvements. There are problems with pushing your heart too hard. As I said, there are misconceptions about the target heart range. People think it should be a lot higher than it needs to be.

And I never told anyone to work out BELOW their resting heart rate. I'm not sure where you got that. I was using 60 as an example resting heart rate, which is more ideal than the 80 you seem to think everyone has...

average heart rate is 80.. that's why the doctors say good is 120/80... i don't know what you're thinking.
    60 is not average...
    http://www.topendsports.com/testing/heart-rate-resting-chart.htm

for women 60 is considered athlete and 70-73 is "average"
  • bpe101

You take 220-20=200.

You heart rate reserve is 50-85% of this number.

Then you add your resting heart rate back in...

So it would be 130-179 beats per minute.

Ok, I must be more tired than I thought because I forgot to add the resting heart rate back in. So I was wrong, too.