putting weight on after surgery

Options
Ok so I've lost 25 lbs and I plan on losing alot more, but I have a huge hip surgery in late August and im worried im going to gain alot of weight back. I will be on bed rest for a month or so, crutches for another few months. FULL recovery time for this is 9 months, but im pretty sure ill be ok to do some form of workouts a few months shy of 9 months. Im going to try my best to keep my diet strict, but its hard. This is my 3rd major hip surgery in 3 years for a disease I've been fighting for 13 years. I get depressed to an extent so im sure ill slip on the diet. Any thoughts? People who have gone through a big surgery especially.

Also, I do alot of things to help raise my metabolism so my metabolism is pretty good right now. Im losing a solid 2 lbs a week recently even when I miss workouts. So im hoping my metabolism kicks *kitten* by August and holds me over for a few months. Thanks people!

Replies

• jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    20 of the 27 lbs I've just lost were put on after my knee surgery last May. I feel your pain. Just try to do things you CAN do like lifting weights while you sit, or if you go to the gym, try using the hand bike. Once you're able, get yourself in a pool, even if all you can do is walk back and forth.
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    on the show, the biggest loser, a contestant wasn't able to workout because of some reason and did shadow boxing. just sit and box...he had the biggest losses in the beginning!
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    Best of luck to you....:bigsmile:
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    I had a complete ACL reconstruction knee surgery in 2009 and was out of commission for about 10-11 months. My only advice to you is really watch what you eat, keep counting calories and watch your portion control. It's really the only thing you can control since you can't work out. You'll have good days and you'll have bad days. Mine evened each other out and in the end I didnt gain or lose (which was a win for me!).
  • SMK715
    SMK715 Posts: 108
    Options
    Thank you everybody, I appreciate the great suggestions. Ill have to talk to my doctor and see what he says. Thy have to cut my pelvic bone so im not sure how much upper body movement ill be allowed. Ill definitely just try to control my food intake. Thanks again :)