Quick, Simple, Easy Breakfast help

Options
Littlenatt
Littlenatt Posts: 26 Member
Ok, so, i need some help with ideas for breakfast. A few things you should know, i get up at 4.30am in order to leave for work by 5am. I need something that will fill me up and not leave me feeling shakey/hungry for a couple of hours, I work as an office cleaner, so i spend my mornings vacuuming, dusting, polishing and walking up and down stairs, its like a work out!
Anyways, things ive tried that dont work:
Toast
Fruit
Yoghurt
Cereal (i dont like cereal anyway, it usually makes me shakey after an hour)

I have been having slimfast milkshakes because they seem to fill me up and theyre quick to make and i can drink them on the way to work, but ive ran out of the strawberry mix and when its not on offer it can be really expensive to keep buying.

I'd really appreciate any help!
Thanks
Nat xx

Replies

• jenfunfur
    jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Put milk, handful if oats & handful of berries in a blender sweeten with honey if you want. Whizz it up & you have a very filling breakfast smoothie. You can add a banana if you fancy i promise you won't be hungry for a while :)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I swear by my oatmeal for breakfast - you can make it the night before, and just pop it in the microwave in the morning..... I also grate a big carrot in with the oats before I cook it - fills me up even more....I eat a big bowl at about 8:30 and it takes me through to lunch most days...
  • kretakano
    kretakano Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    While doing South Beach I really enjoyed their Veggie Mini-Quiches as a savory breakfast alternative. They are great to prepare in advance and keep up in the fridge for a couple of days.Two Quiches (I made them in a normal sized muffin tin) are a good portion size and you just have to put them into the microwave for warming up in the morning.

I prepared them with low fat feta cheese and added some mixed seed for fibre:
    http://walking.about.com/od/lowcarbrecipes/r/quichecups.htm
  • suzitkd
    suzitkd Posts: 110
    Options
    I'm in the UK, don't know if you are too... here we call it PORRIDGE! It's the best quick breakfast you can have by far! In the states it's oatmeal I believe... in the UK we have a product called oats so simple in loads of flavours which you can microwave in two minutes, job done, keeps me going until lunch time, and none of the sugar rush/dip that you get from the nasty high carb cereals!
  • kristinmkartist
    kristinmkartist Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have 2 servings of Egg Beaters and 2-3 ozs of Chicken breast. My breakfast is around 350-400 calories I make my eggs first with a hint of Salsa for flavor. My chicken breast is cooked the night before and I chop it up and weigh it out so all I have to do is warm it up with the eggs. Then i have a peanut butter toast. Its a lot of protein in the am. I work out at 5am and I have to eat by 630am and I don't get a snack til 930-10 for my work. I am usually full for awhile on this. I haven't had this breakfast for a few days because I am just starting work again today. Good luck!
  • donnasuew
    donnasuew Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi - I like more savory breakfasts, and love costco (or sam's or BJs may have similar stuff). I wrap the morningstar farms chipotle black bean burger in a carb balance tortilla, add a scrambled egg if I have time and some salsa.

Oatmeal is great, but a bit carb heavy on its own for me, so I add cottage cheese or low fat ricotta. Sounds weird, but it just disappears and the protein boost keeps me full longer. With cinnamon and a bit of honey or stevia it is even better.

Costco also has jimmy dean whole grain bagel and turkey sausage/egg/cheese sandwiches, under 300 cals and filling.

GoLean crunch is the most filling cereal I've ever had, great with apple to make it extra filling.

Also, toast is a favorite of mine but usually not worth it. Today I had two slices of whole grain cinn toast/no raisins for 90 cals each, a spread of ricotta and cinnamon/stevia sprinkled on top. Added and apple, and still very full - seemed like a ton of food!

You can also buy benefiber or its generic equivalent in the digestive area of the pharmacy - I sometimes add it to my coffee or tea to help with my belly and it also keeps me full when my meal lacks fiber.

Freezing string cheese makes it easy to pack and take along to your job, it's ready to go about three hours later, great mid morning snack.

Hope you find something tasty!
  • klebert
    klebert Posts: 2
    Options
    When I'm in a hurry to get out the door I will usually make a half of a peanut butter sandwich and grab a banana. Smoothies are pretty fast too, especially if you have it all prepped the night before. I also will make fruit with yogurt and then add raw oats on top. You can make a scrambled egg pretty quick (even in the microwave if you are super crunched for time!).
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    The key to staying full is combining carbs/fat/protein in a way that works for you. A quick breakfast I like to prepare is I cook 1/2 cup of oatmeal the night before and refrigerate over night. In the morning, I top the cold oats with greek yogurt, blueberries, and sometimes sliced almonds or ground flax seed. This meal contains large amounts of carbs and protein, and the nuts add a little fat. It keeps me full for about 3 1/2 hours! good luck!
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I also forgot to add that I agree with the post above mine! peanut butter, bread, bananas, and milk are SUPER filling and also contain lots of nutritents/energy.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I use steel cut oats for my oatmeal. I make 6 servings in my crock pot and then keep it in the fridge. I add some milk and a cup of frozen berries to it in the morning and microwave for 2.5 minutes.
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is delicious, but even when I make steel-cut oats and put fruit and nuts in it I don't feel full for as long as I want. For me, getting protein is a key. You might want to consider changing things up and not having "breakfast foods" at breakfast. Bake up a bunch of chicken breasts for the week and put them in the fridge to grab when you need.

Or you can make extra dinner the night before. As long as you were cooking healthy for your evening meal, having the leftovers for breakfast might be satisfying. As a bonus, there's no extra prep time needed.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Hi - I like more savory breakfasts, and love costco (or sam's or BJs may have similar stuff). I wrap the morningstar farms chipotle black bean burger in a carb balance tortilla, add a scrambled egg if I have time and some salsa.

Oatmeal is great, but a bit carb heavy on its own for me, so I add cottage cheese or low fat ricotta. Sounds weird, but it just disappears and the protein boost keeps me full longer. With cinnamon and a bit of honey or stevia it is even better.

Costco also has jimmy dean whole grain bagel and turkey sausage/egg/cheese sandwiches, under 300 cals and filling.

GoLean crunch is the most filling cereal I've ever had, great with apple to make it extra filling.

Also, toast is a favorite of mine but usually not worth it. Today I had two slices of whole grain cinn toast/no raisins for 90 cals each, a spread of ricotta and cinnamon/stevia sprinkled on top. Added and apple, and still very full - seemed like a ton of food!

You can also buy benefiber or its generic equivalent in the digestive area of the pharmacy - I sometimes add it to my coffee or tea to help with my belly and it also keeps me full when my meal lacks fiber.

Freezing string cheese makes it easy to pack and take along to your job, it's ready to go about three hours later, great mid morning snack.

Hope you find something tasty!

YES, finally someone that mixed cottage cheese in their oatmeal besides me!! haha, I do the same thing, mix in a dash of cinnamon, cottage cheese, touch of honey or agave nectar, and sometimes some fruit too - diced apple, some berries. Keeps me full for a while.

To the OP: It sounds like you are doing a lot of physical work first thing in the morning, so perhaps you might need more calories or carbs? The examples you gave here were pretty vague - like, I don't know if you are just eating plain toast, how many slices, etc - you could try topping it with peanut butter for some protein, healthy fat, and more calories. Like Gymnast2010 said, you probably need to find the best ratio of carbs, protein, & fat that work for you - and the amounts. You could also try finding foods that have about the same amounts of fat, carbs, protein, & fiber as the slimfast shakes since you said those work for you.

Good luck! :flowerforyou: