STARVATION MODE

Options
It has become common knowledge on these topics that some have firm beliefs in the starvation mode and others firm disbeliefs.

I myself have a degree of belief, however I think in every person the starvation mode is entered at different calorie intakes per person.

A number of people tell me my calorie intake is far too low, I eat an average of 900 Calories per day.

My minimum was 1200, but strangely today (after no differences I have made, exercise in correct day, no goals changed etc) it has increased to 1330..... Wierd.

Could somebody please explain to me why when I enter my log in for the day the MFP calculates my weight for 5 weeks time as a loss in weight if I continue to eat the same volume of calories I ate on that particular day.... however telling me I am below my minimum and need to eat more.

I have completely changed my intake of food and dramatically calories down to the healthy eating habits I have adopted over the last 12 days, which have seen me make a loss of 8lbs so far.

I have joined the local gym and exercise daily for roughly an hour and a half - whereas before my diet began I was bearly doing any exercise..... none intentionally anyway lol.... hence the help with the weight loss I assume!!

Now, people also talk about this starvation mode and the body starting to use muscle mass as a way to survive.... I include weight training every day in my regime at the gym, therefore building muscle intolerance to the loss you can have if you do eat too few calories.

Can someone please then explain to me at what stage this starvation mode might be likely to kick in?
(As previously mentioned I know this is going to be individual to the person, but if anyone feels like they have entered the starvation mode before I would like their input on this please)

Replies

• froggzy1015
    froggzy1015 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've never entered "starvation mode" before, but if your body is hungry it will store fat or eat away muscle. Most people need about 1200 calories to have the nutrients they need to survive since your body is always burning while you move. If you are exercising that long everyday I would personally think you need to eat more food to make up some of the other calories burned. I eat 1200-1400 calories a day and I'm still losing....hope that helps!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I don't really know the answer to this, but 900 calories and 90 minutes of exercise seems like too much too soon if you've only been at the "diet" for 12 days. Slow and steady seems like a much better plan.
  • ronny23
    ronny23 Posts: 35
    Options
    Hi! I am a gym freak ... Not ashamed to say it.. And I haven't got the results I wanted but until I ate what I needed. Try to think that your body might not cooperate with what you want, if it's tired and weak. So if you do as much exercise as you are doing, I would suggest to do only weightlifting from 2 to 3 times a week. If you want, you can do cardio 2 or 3 times a week as well ,or as much as you want BUT if you don't eat some of those calories back, then u might hit a plateu or get into starvation mode.
    So what I am trying to say is that, your body looses weight as you exercise and feed it right... Not too much , not too little. For example, if u work out really hard any day, eat 100 or 200 more calories than a regular day..
    This is just a thought, but it's working to ne so far:)
  • sameantha
    sameantha Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to an article that will answer your questions. Hope this will help. I know I never use to eat more than 1000 calories a day and my body stopped losing and started gaining. Now I am in a constant battle with eating the correct amounts daily.

Good Luck!!
    http://optimalbodyweight.com/qa/weight-loss-tips/body/starvation-mode-weight-loss