Rant about blanket statements

Options
Ashalahn_LMT
Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
Why do people here make blanket statements in regards to health, diet, nutrition, and exercise? It's quite frustrating at times to read forum postings of people attempting to cram their ideas down each other's throats. What works for one person will NOT necessarily work for someone else. No single diet will work for every person. No single exercise routine will work the same for every person. There are exceptions to almost every rule, especially considering health, nutrition, diet, and exercise.

Yet day after day, I read posts where the statements of "this is the only way", "this is the only diet", "that won't work", "exercise like this", etc. Any time I hear the words only, always, never I get very nervous. Absolutes like that are hard to find. Seems like we need to have a little more open mindedness when offering suggestions. Share your experience, but don't insist it's the only way.

And I'll stop to take a breath now.

Replies

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I was just having the same rant in my head, now I don't feel so lonely. Thanks. :wink:
  • nancymmorris
    nancymmorris Posts: 310
    Options
    Well said!!! I agree 100% Thank You for posting this!!
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with a friend who was pushing her atkins diet on me. . .

I eat what I want to eat, in moderation. . and yeah, seeing the "You shouldn't eat meat", "You shouldn't eat processed foods", "you should only eat THIS" drives me nuts
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Options
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree. I try to answer advice questions with a personal viewpoint. For example . . ."I find that I lose the most weight when I eat about 1600 calories . . .45% protein, 35% carbs, and 25% fats. If I exercise more than normal I will eat back those exercise calories" It may give someone a new direction to go in, and then the rest of their thread won't be bombarded by a big debate. If that ratio/number/plan works for me, you can't tell me that it is ineffective.
  • laj3918
    laj3918 Posts: 28
    Options
    Love it... it's very simple, though.

Each of us is an individual - therefore each of us will respond to stimulus differently.

Do what works for YOU! There's tons of EVIDENCE-BASED information that provides solid guidelines... science doesn't offer "opinons"
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% People want to look at this as either black or white....sorry. There are to many determining factors to make it that cut & dry. Yes there can be a foundation set but its just that.....a foundation. Just like a foundation for a home where each house built can look different...what is built upon a healthy foundation can also look quite different from what you would generally expect because of genetics, health issue and such. So throwing around the words "only" and telling someone what they are doing is wrong doesn't automatically make it so in the grand scheme of things.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Anytime you post something, you should realize you're allowing ANY one to comment on it- including views that you may not agree with.
    I can't stop people from their dogmatic views
    but the older I get, the more I can glean from even the hardest head- and extract some elements of truth in what they say- and apply it.
    Even the harshest criticism- I take and ponder as to whether there's anything valid in it- and usually there is. It's the motivation behind what was said that I need to toss out/shrug off.
    Sometimes we just are excited to share what's working for us- and yes, then it can sound like it's the only way.
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Options
    I have no issue with opposing opinions. I welcome them. I certainly don't know everything about diet, exercise, or nutrition. And what I do know is only what I know works for me. Much of what I have learned about these issues comes from the multiple forums I read and post upon, as well as school, the internet (sometimes it's reliable), books, magazines, etc. And what's funny, is even the most "educated" sources will disagree with one another, and sometimes with themselves. Yet we have people on forums everywhere spouting absolute truths and/or harsh criticisms. It becomes maddening at times. I do try to find the bits and pieces of advice spread through the detritus and add it to my collection. I suppose it's semantics more than anything else. Change a word here or there and an absolute becomes an opinion, harsh criticism becomes advice.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I just don't like comforters. They take forever to dry.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options

Don't even get me started on duvets...
  • cheermom614
    Options
    I couldn't agree more! So many people feed into the "this is the only thing that works" gimmick and then get frustrated when it doesn't work for them and they give up all together! Find what works for you and go with it! Don't worry about other people. do it for yourself and what makes you feel good!
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options

Don't even get me started on duvets...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Although I have to add that in addition to that I dislike when a person asks for advice,about why they aren't losing weight as quickly as others, but they fail to mention a medical condition that would factor into their weightloss. LIke they ask why they aren't losing, they get advice then say "Well that won't work because I have (such and such) and the doctor says I can't (such and such)."
  • Danthewatcher
    Options
    Buu-uump...Bumping my way..my way onnllaay...*Bumps his hips twice left, once right*
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I totally agree.