Summer Run Blahs...

Options
Running in the heat is just no fun. I am not an early morning person- so running early in the day just isn't going to happen. I usually run at 6 p.m. but it is still hot. I would wait til later- like 8 p.m. but the thought of running alone and night makes me nervous.

I've begun running with just a sports bra and that has helped a lot. And twice a week I meet a trainer at the gym and my runs are outside. But for the other 2 or 3 days a week I need some ideas to make running more bearable in this awful heat.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    Find or start your own group. I find I am more likely to run if I am meeting people. If you were in a group you could also run later in the day.
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing, I try to run in the morning but it doesn't always work out; I find the heat and poorer air quality in the late afternoon / evening a problem.
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    do u have time to run in the morning? i did that last summer and as long as i ran before 9am i was good. sometimes i'd wait until 11 but no later then that. The more you run outside, the more you're body will get used to it. just stick it out! you can do it!!
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    I have the EXACT same problem!! I find it hard to get motivated to run when its so stinkin' hot!! I was running 3-4 times per week up until about 2 weeks ago. It just saps the energy right out of me, almost as soon as I get started! There are a couple of websites where u can post your location and find local running groups but, being that I'm in a pretty rural area, that hasn't worked for me. U could maybe inquire at your gym or a local running store??
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Im not a fan of the morning run either but i usually do a morning run 2 times a week in the summer.....then run after the sun goes down...usually around 7:30 the other 3 or 4 days....its not dark then and the sun has usually set....knowing that I only have to get up really early 2 days a week makes the morning run a little more bearable...plus then I have that great feeling that it is done for the day and I can do whatever I want that evening.
  • runto130
    runto130 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This will be my 4th summer outside running. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water thru-out the day. Dehydration starts very early in the heat of the summer. A run can start out great and very quickly drain your energy if you hadn't been drinking enough water thru-out the day! People sweat more in the summer, so drink more than you normally do as well. As for the heat...either run in the morning, or keep up with the sports bra and shorts. Your body will get used to the heat eventually and you won't be able to tell the difference after a while! Good luck and drink up!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You will become acclimated to the heat and it will not be so hard if you keep it up. It shouldn't take more than about two weeks.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You can either slow down and suffer in the heat, or get up early to beat the heat.

You just need to decide which is worse, getting up early or running in the heat.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    well if it is cooler at night but you dont feel safe you could wear pepper spray on your wrist. You could also try a neck wrap. Here is an example. Im sure they are many other brands/ styles.
    http://www.healthandbodystore.com/coolingaids.html?gclid=CJyV_JvlmakCFQQbKgodPUqXug