Starting to lose my determination... anyone know why this is

Options
Im just stuck, and not just maintaining but I got up half a pound one day, down a pound the next, up a pound the next day, its not making any sense and im getting to the point where I almost want to say screw it (but I know I wont...) Two weeks ago I was at 1200 calories, alteast work out 30 a day the day or two I dont I atleast go for a family walk so im getting in exercise and nothings happening.
Two weeks ago, I was losing everyday, 0.5 pound, or close to it, I went from 182.5, to 176.8 , two weeks ago in 10 days. Once I hit 176, it went to 178 after memorial (which I didnt eat that crappy, I hate 2 shmores and that was my cheating, but was SUPER active) so I kicked @ss more, went from 1300 , to 1200 calories and have been exercising my booty off the past week and today I was 179.8?!! wtf.
Im getting ticked, trying to hard and nothing happening, its an all day struggle not to eat whatever I want all day, and at the end of the day when im 100/200 cals under im so excited for the scale the next morning, just to see it go UP.

Sorry for the ranting/vent. I never do that.

EDIT-- I honestly dont feel like 2 pounds a week is enough. I mean people on biggest loser are losing 10-15 pounds a week, I just feel like 3ish pounds is normal and healthy when my body is still so over weight, I know once I get down to the 160s itll probably slow down to 2 pounds a week. Ive also been able to keep it off losing 3, 3.5 pounds a week. I went from 230 when I was pregnant to 179 now and able to keep it off. My brain just doesnt like 3 pounds a week is a lot at all..

Replies

• fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    You probably should eat a little more... especially if you are burining a ton of calories a day and still only eating 1200.
    Are you set to 2 lbs per week? I have had mine at 1lb per week for the past 6 months and been very happy with this.
    Only weigh once a week. You should not be losing .5 or 1 lbs per day.. thats not sustainable. Im so happy with 1 lb per week or some times less sometimes more. Its not a sprint. Its a marathon!

Drink lots of water! Keep it up, you will see results.
  • estevo66
    estevo66 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You may be building muscle. Are you lifting weights?
  • DeanDowney
    DeanDowney Posts: 22
    Options
    Could it be that you're not eating enough calories? I had this problem and went from 1200 to 1300 and upped my exercise, at the end of the first week at this rate I lost 2lbs. Not sure if it's just coincidence. I look at pictures of myself before I lose 1 and 1/2 stone....that helps! Keep at it, you know you can do it. :-)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself once per week at the same time (I do Wednesdays and I call them weigh-in days). I weigh myself first thing in the morning.

DON'T weigh yourself more than once per week. It will drive you insane!

For women, our weight varies from one day to the next (water weight gain, hormones). Just be sure to stay hydrated so that you don't have water weight gain.

And stop weighing yourself so often!!

You'll do just fine! :)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You probably should eat a little more... especially if you are burining a ton of calories a day and still only eating 1200.
    Are you set to 2 lbs per week? I have had mine at 1lb per week for the past 6 months and been very happy with this.
    Only weigh once a week. You should not be losing .5 or 1 lbs per day.. thats not sustainable. Im so happy with 1 lb per week or some times less sometimes more. Its not a sprint. Its a marathon!

Drink lots of water! Keep it up, you will see results.

YES! It's also harmful to your body to lose more than 1-2 pounds per week. The 1-2/week is how you keep it off for good! :)
  • vbennett7
    vbennett7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When I started in October, I ate 1440 a day according to what MFP says to eat for my weight and exercise amount. I did not lose quickly, but I lost consistently. As my size decreased, so did the suggested calories from MFP. I slowly lost 30 pounds that way. I am now at 1290 a day. Don't undereat. What does this site suggest you eat? Try that. Also, sometimes, you need a day where you go over in calories-it actually seems to help in losing-just don't do it all the time.

My starting weight was 178 or so,too. Thus, I am curious about you starting off at 1200 a day.
  • shelld70
    shelld70 Posts: 106
    Options
    Hang in there! Don't be so hard on yourself and give yourself some rest days. Looks like you are working hard. You can do it!!! :flowerforyou:
  • goldenraisin214
    goldenraisin214 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    hi ariellemarie! first, i'm sorry you're feeling down about the scale not cooperating. i feel the same way, especially when i feel like i'm doing everything "right," and the scale says "no." :flowerforyou: some people deal with this by not getting on the scale daily (personally, it's hard to only do it once a week--i feel like i have to know if i'm making progress so i can change things if need be). i keep hearing and reading that 1200 is the bare minimum for caloric intake, and you sound pretty darn active, so maybe you're not eating enough? how are your water intake and um, bathroom habits? those can both make a surprising difference and it's easy not to think about that stuff when the scale is thumbing its nose at you :wink: anyway, i hope you get to feeling better and you're able to find some motivation/determination to stick with it--hope this helps!
  • nouh220200
    nouh220200 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    First thing you have to know that you are not the only one that it happens to . you weigh depends not only on measuring fat but water muscles as well . So TAKE IT EASE You are doing great , we all get the same exact thing when standing on the scale . when you get that feeling know that you are on the right track because you are concerned and thats way better than just eating and giving up . Heres what I recommend , set a specific day and time in exact to weigh yourself every week and do not change it . And the main thing is do not go too hard on yourself and keep doing what you are doing of maintaining training and food and you are on the right track , have fun while doing it and you are doing great again , WE ARE HERE FOR YOU WE DO NOT GIVE UP WE GET AND DO WHAT WE WANT , KEEP IT UP LADY .
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    Try eating back half your exercise calories.....I think keeping your daily caories to 1200-1300 is too low. The body flucuates every day so I agree about weighing yourself once a week. I personally NEVER eat less than 1800 a day....but I am 15 lbs away from goal. I have found, for myself, that if I eat less I lose less, if I eat more I lose more. .that has proven true more times than not.....or you can try eating more every other day, to shake things up. Don't be discouraged, this is a learning process:flowerforyou:
  • bluellies
    bluellies Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Was your rapid weight loss (during the 2 weeks) at the beginning of your diet? Many people will lose weight rapidly the first week or two as water weight. I'm actually going to a doctor every month for checkups, and while she was very happy with my first month's loss she warned me that I wouldn't lose that again.

Oh, and I'm one of those that can't seem to keep off of the scale everyday, but I read a post that really helps with the fluctuations--graph them! The person that posted said that she likes to see how she goes up and down, so that she can see the patterns in her loss over time. She did say that it takes a month or more to get a general idea of how it all works, but it helps her with keeping motivation up (especially during auntie's visit).

Obviously the best thing one can do is to keep off of the scale everyday, but if you find that you just HAVE to weigh yourself every day you might consider graphing it, either on MFP by inputting your weight every day or in Excel. Just don't be concerned about daily weights unless you're gaining every week, or not losing in a couple.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this. I'm in exactly the same situation. I made it to 143lbs! I did! I went out & bought 4 new pairs of pants that were a size 7/8 (Canada), & I was over the MOON!. But then... I fell off the wagon a little bit. I ended up back at 147lbs. So I kicked up my exercises. I started doing 45minutes of Turbo Jam first thing in the morning EVERY day (except weekends, cuz really? You need time away. And I usually am more active on weekends anyway). And I toss in some walks that I'm not used to taking. And I've been doing some lower-body sculpting too. But my scale? It found 151lbs this morning.

I'm SO MAD! I don't know WHAT to do. But I feel just the same way that you feel. I've posted about it on my own, & people are saying "it's inflammation of your muscles, they're retaining water", or "it's muscle growth, don't worry". But now I'm at 8lbs in about 2 weeks? This is ridiculous. That can't be it! And? I'm back in my size 9/10 pants this morning! I don't think that's water retention, people.

And another thing! I'm STARVING. I could eat ALL DAY. What is this? I can't be pregnant, at least; I don't think so. I'm SO hungry between meals it's stupid. I did switch from fruit & yogurt this morning to scrambled eggs. Whole ones; none of this egg white nonsense, I want that protein to see if it helps.

But I'm in exactly the same boat that you're in! What do I do?!
  • chachii26
    chachii26 Posts: 45
    Options
    Im Fairly new in MFP so I dont have any "expert" advise....I can tell you that maybe you shouldnt weight yourself every day. The conditions on your body change often, especially on girls. I weight myself every Friday in the morning and thats it! I forget about the scale for the rest of the week. Good Luck!
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself once per week at the same time (I do Wednesdays and I call them weigh-in days). I weigh myself first thing in the morning.

I agree 100%!! You will drive yourself completely insane if you are weighing yourself more than once a week! I weigh myself every Monday morning...I get out of bed, go potty, and strip off my jamms, and step on the scale. Weight will fluctuate for whatever reason. Could be that you are retaining water...could be that it's going to be that time of month soon. Just don't give up, you'll be ok! I know it's frustrating, but look at at this way...you're exercising, watching what you eat, and eating healthier. That right there is a HUGE plus!!! The scale is only a tool, it will never be a friend! :tongue:
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

I agree 100%!! You will drive yourself completely insane if you are weighing yourself more than once a week! I weigh myself every Monday morning...I get out of bed, go potty, and strip off my jamms, and step on the scale. Weight will fluctuate for whatever reason. Could be that you are retaining water...could be that it's going to be that time of month soon. Just don't give up, you'll be ok! I know it's frustrating, but look at at this way...you're exercising, watching what you eat, and eating healthier. That right there is a HUGE plus!!! The scale is only a tool, it will never be a friend! :tongue:
  • goldenraisin214
    goldenraisin214 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @aviendha--i think you're so hungry because you are being so active--you should eat when your body tells you to, and yep--protein is your friend :smile: ...and i highly doubt that you have eaten enough to gain 8 lbs in 2 weeks, so i'm going to have to agree with those that are saying muscles and/or water retention, and the other poster that said sometimes eating more results in a loss (i use saturdays as the day i'm "allowed' to eat whatever i want). i'm by no means an expert, and i have WAY more to lose on my journey, but these are things i've noticed so far...
  • KarenLouise1981
    Options

For women, our weight varies from one day to the next (water weight gain, hormones). Just be sure to stay hydrated so that you don't have water weight gain.

And stop weighing yourself so often!!

You'll do just fine! :)
    Agree with this poster - my weight can change upto 3lbs PER DAY. I weigh in Fridays and take measurments then forget about it. It's so easy to become a slave to the scales when all they do it give you a guideline.