Come on - I had to work off more than 64 calories in 45 minu

Options
Ok, I'm a bit confused. I feel that the exercise logs don't give me an accurate account of my workouts. I understand they can't have everything but the only workouts I can account for in calories is jogging?

I busted my butt these past couple days at boot camp, sweating, exhausted, etc. My class is 45 minutes of STRAIGHT exercise, NO breaks. We use little/no weights, mostly plyometrics and exercises performed without machines and cardio. When I log my caloric intake I'm going over the 1,200 almost every day but I think to myself, 'the calories you'll burn during your workout will make up for that 200 - 300 variance.' Hopefully I'll learn better ways to keep my daily intake under 1,200 but I also don't want to eat too little and then pass out in class.

Is there anyway to track consistent movement? Or rather than the speed I jog at, calculate in distance?

I have a desk job, so I don't move around a whole lot so I have my lifestyle set as "sedentary." Should I alter that since I am working out 45 minutes 5 days a week now?

Just getting a bit frustrated...

Replies

• Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    To track my bootcamp class I use "circuit training" under cardio exercises...
    The best way to truly know is to use a heart rate monitor.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Best thing you can do for yourself is get an HRM. Then you will have a more accurate count of calories burned, and you can just create a new exercise, putting in the amount of time you spent doing it and the number of calories burned. Then you will want to net 1200 calories for the day. Meaning you start with a minimum of 1200 calories, and whatever you burn, you eat back. For example, if you burn 400 calories one day, you will eat a total of 1600 calories, which gives you a net of 1200. Best of luck to you!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Get a good heart rate monitor (HRM) with a chest strap. That will really tell you have your body is burning since it goes by heart rate. I'm sure you'll be surprised. Good luck!
  • AlissaPT
    AlissaPT Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you really want an accurate calorie burn, it may be worth investing in a heart rate monitor. I love my Polar FT40. The most accurate ones have a chest strap you wear, but there are wrist only models.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor.
  • tessb84
    tessb84 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Try a Heart rate monitor that counts calories. they sell them at sporting good stores and walmart.
  • SabrinaEMorris
    Options
    The guy who teaches my combat fitness class (boot camp style work out) suggested this site to me and when I asked him what to do for the exercise we do in combat fitness, he suggested using the circut training option under the cardio exercises. He said it wasn't spot on but probably the closest to what you'll actually be doing at boot camp. Try that and see what you get.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to invest in the heart rate monitor, circuit training is likely your best option to log with ... I logged Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred as Circuit training and once I got the HRM, I found the estimates were fairly close.
  • TanajaP
    TanajaP Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Best thing you can do for yourself is get an HRM. Then you will have a more accurate count of calories burned, and you can just create a new exercise, putting in the amount of time you spent doing it and the number of calories burned. Then you will want to net 1200 calories for the day. Meaning you start with a minimum of 1200 calories, and whatever you burn, you eat back. For example, if you burn 400 calories one day, you will eat a total of 1600 calories, which gives you a net of 1200. Best of luck to you!

exactly! i did 22 minutes of yoga this morning and when i logged it in it said i only burned 40 calories... ummm LMFAO! yea right! that mess was hard and i was really getting into it! luckily, i wore my hear rate monitor, i actually burned 181 calories. talk about wrong!
  • AKAnderson785
    Options

exactly! i did 22 minutes of yoga this morning and when i logged it in it said i only burned 40 calories... ummm LMFAO! yea right! that mess was hard and i was really getting into it! luckily, i wore my hear rate monitor, i actually burned 181 calories. talk about wrong!

lol! That is funny, ok, I'll try the circuit training log and get a HRM, thanks for the advice!!!