toning up advice needed

Options
Hey guys,
Ok, so I have got the eating thing under control but had to recently cancel my gym membership due to lack of funds. I am wondering what all of you do without a gym that is great for toning that I can do with two one years olds with me???? I already walk quite a lot and push a double stroller a lot but that doesn't seem to be helping all the flabby areas that seem to need a little extra special attention:tongue:
Any suggestions you guys have would be great!

Thanks...

Replies

• jilldan55
    jilldan55 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,
    Ok, so I have got the eating thing under control but had to recently cancel my gym membership due to lack of funds. I am wondering what all of you do without a gym that is great for toning that I can do with two one years olds with me???? I already walk quite a lot and push a double stroller a lot but that doesn't seem to be helping all the flabby areas that seem to need a little extra special attention:tongue:
    Any suggestions you guys have would be great!

Thanks...
  • Fit2btied
    Options
    Is exercise during nap time out of the question? A DVD or two may be just the trick. Or a step and bands or cardio and muscle toning are also inexpensive and easy options that go anywhere and store easily. That's tough having 2 one year olds...I know you have your hands full, and I commend you for your efforts to take care of yourself for your childrens sake! Good luck!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    The latest......um, Shape or Fitness magazine (I have too many!! Ahh!) has a work out to tone without weights, just your body. I'm actually going to try it tonight....

http://www.shape.com/workouts/

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/ <<<I believe you can find it on this one.

I like the Shape site best.....

:flowerforyou:
  • cassangelidy
    Options
    This is going to sound silly...but use your kids as weights. Hold them in each arm and do squats. They will think its playing and have a great time and you will get a good workout. I still do this sometimes with my 3 year old. I like to lay on my back and hold her by the butt and back of the neck and do bench press. She LOVES it and I do it long enough to really feel it working. Also because they are so squirmy you will be working stabilizer muscles too!

You can do curls or up right rows or shoulder presses....anything you can think of!!!!

Just a thought. :)
  • LAPETITERUSE
    Options
    another good thing is to get a weight bar - you can use it to do arm curls, tricep curls and also leg lifts, donkey kicks, and plias (squats with legs wide and toes pointed). Your basic floor exerices with weights will really help you tone.
  • kimford28
    Options
    I do dips using a chair. I also jump rope outside :)
  • tonianne98
    Options
    Anything using your body weight. Push ups (works your core, chest, arms), side plank with hip dip, walking lunges, reverse lunges with bicep curls, squats with a shoulder press, dips. Do these for an insane amount of reps, three times through. You'll definitely feel it. You can do this w/o weights, but depending on where you are, you can add in 5 or 8lb weights.

I like the idea of using your kids as weights. If you're not up for that, you can find stuff around your house that will do, I'm sure. Just five pound weights to start!
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    For a lot of years prior to having a gym membership, I worked out with weights at home. All you need, really, is a pair of dumbells and a good fitness magazine. Not fluff kind of fitness magazine, but one that speaks to the whys and hows of the movement. Usually, they do issues with full body that have tear-outs you can paste on your wall. There are also a wide variety of books you can purchase. You can also google weight training sites specific to moms. You can add a bench, but it is not really necessary-espeically if you are just getting started.

This has worked for me, in fact, I am thinking about doing it again. I prefer it to the weight machines at the gym.

:flowerforyou: Good Luck
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    in home walking with leslie sansone is good one to do with the kids :flowerforyou:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I use toning dvd's, and the toning exercises in my fitness and shape mags.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    i started with 5 lb weights and a exercise band. there are great websites with lists of exercises you can do.

I have seen a marked improvement since I started weight training. So much so that I had to buy 10 pound weights.

Which reminds me....gotta go...........