Best protein to calorie value?

Options
melaniecheeks
melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
I'm trying to keep my protein intake high - aiming for 100g a day though I rarely reach that much. Last night I was going to the gym so I thought I'd try a special protein bar to give a little extra. I was horrified to find that it came in at over 200 calories, for only 10g protein!

By comparison, 40g of cottage cheese for breakfast gave me 5g protein at a "cost" of only 44 calories.

So, which foods give the most protein for the least amount of calories?

Replies

• TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to keep my protein intake high - aiming for 100g a day though I rarely reach that much. Last night I was going to the gym so I thought I'd try a special protein bar to give a little extra. I was horrified to find that it came in at over 200 calories, for only 10g protein!

By comparison, 40g of cottage cheese for breakfast gave me 5g protein at a "cost" of only 44 calories.

So, which foods give the most protein for the least amount of calories?

Protein bars, while convenient, do not provide the most bang for the calorie buck.

Egg whites, chicken breast, 96% ground beef, lean fish fillets, shrimp, low carb protein shakes, beef jerky, low- fat greek yogurt (non-flavored).. all I can think of at the moment.

Ahh, just thought of another... lean cuts of pork... one of my favorites!
  • supercatie18
    supercatie18 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Reduced fat string cheese has 8g of protein for only 70 cals
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I dont usually go for protein bars or shakes, but I see so many people on here use them that I thought it give it a go.

I'll stick my almonds pre workout and chocolate milk after!
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    greek yogurt. 1c of fage 0% yogurt is 130cal and 23g of protein add in fresh fruit to add flavor and sweeten it or put a Tablespoon of sugarfree jam.

Edamame is another great source of protein. 1/4c of roasted edamame is 130 cal. egg whites are another great source. Nuts like almonds, pistachios...etc. Kashi cereal, lentils, broccoli.

I could go on! I researched ways to increase protein and truly there are a ton of food that can help in upping the intake of protien while staying low in calories! :)