Body Pump

Options
So I recently started taking a BodyPump class at my gym. I've been told it's a cardio as well as strength training class. Does anyone know approximately how many calories the class burns and /or what I should put this under in MFP? I wanna keep track and make sure I'm eating enough on the days I work out.

Replies

• bflicker11
    bflicker11 Posts: 296
    Options
    Love to hear an answer on this one. I think a heart rate monitor would be your best bet. It's an awesome class!
  • moneil21
    moneil21 Posts: 20
    Options
    the Body Pump class we have at our gym is mostly weights-strength training...not cardio so much. BUT its my FAV class, I seen results quickly from this class, when I added cardio on off days. Great for toning!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I found I burn as much there as I do on the weight floor. It was 350 for the hour.
  • cherryredcutie
    cherryredcutie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found this on the Les Mill Forum:

Calories Women Men
    BODYPUMP 437 586
    BODYCOMBAT 416 603
    BODYATTACK 693 739
    BODYSTEP 573 603
    RPM 683 617
    BODYJAM 375 411
    BODYBALANCE 265 304

These are just averages though.
  • Lexikat21
    Lexikat21 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I burn about 250 for an hour of body pump according my my hrm. I love this class, for the first time in years I am starting to see muscle definition.
  • moneil21
    moneil21 Posts: 20
    Options
    The number of calories burnt depends a lot on your age and your heart rate, and how much weight you lift. It stands to reason that more weight = more calories. I find that the calories burnt in pump ranges between 300 to 450 approximately. Again, depends how much weight I'm pushing aswell.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It really depends how hard you work it! I was at a pump class at 7 am this morning (go me!), and I lift heavy - 20kg for the squat track, so I'm certainly sweating and pushing my heart. I've used an HRM to measure this class in the past and I reckon I burn 300-400 cals per hour.

But I was looking at some of the other girls in the class, who were only lifting in some cases the little yellow weights (1.25 kg each side) and there's no way they were burning a lot!
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I am always curious on this class as they offer it where I workout. Maybe I will give it a shot once and try not to look to much like an uncoordinated fool.
  • GinaSmash
    GinaSmash Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It depends on the individual, the amount of weight you use and effort/exersion. I added calories (331) to MFP based on the calories I burned when I first started. Today I am going to wear my HRM to see how accurate it is.
  • lyn267
    lyn267 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Love, Love, Love Body Pump. I usually do 20 min of slow walking (3.5) on the treadmill before the class to warm up. So for 1 hr class and 20 min of walking I burn about 450 cal according to my HRM. I would say 350 is a good estimate of the class alone.
  • chicorac
    chicorac Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! Looks like I'm gonna need to get a heart rate monitor.
  • chicorac
    chicorac Posts: 34
    Options
    How often do you take the class? and How soon do you think you started seeing results?