Beginner's Question - what do I count?

Options
When I've done weight loss programmes in the past I've only counted exercise that has been over and above what I would normally do. Eg. I wouldn't ever count the 40 minutes spent walking to school and back.

Should I be including that sort of exercise or not? I'm not doing anything extra at the moment and was just wondering if I should be counting those calories from walking.

Replies

• TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Over and above your daily routine.
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I would only count extra exercise you do.. I wouldnt count " walking to car" or " shopping at mall" you may burn a few extra cals, but I wouldn't count them and possibly eat them back.
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    It depends on what you selected in your profile. If you only put lightly active, I would count them. If you selected active, I think that takes into account your commute, and I wouldn't count them. Hope that makes sense.
  • JenKoz4
    JenKoz4 Posts: 37
    Options
    I count the walk I do to work but that might be because it's still a challenge for me. (15 minutes up hill? Uh yeah, I've burned some calories.) I also include the walk down the hill. But thats because at the end of it I am out of breath and I am getting a work out.

I don't count the walk to the shop, because I go a bit slower. Any time you push yourself, count it because you are burning calories. But you should also be doing work outs on top of that.