multivitamins

Options
mawhite717
mawhite717 Posts: 202 Member
can taking too many multivitamins per day be bad for you? like, can they make you feel weak, tired and dizzy? i've had a cold for about 4 or 5 days and i've been popping them like candy, but the past 2 days i've been really tired, weak, dizzy and lightheaded. is that bad?

Replies

• mawhite717
    Options
    bump
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Why would you 'pop them like candy'? That just makes no sense...
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    They can possibly if you are taking them on an empty stomach. Try to bury them...eat some food take your vitamins and then eat some more. If you are sick you should focus on echinacea, golden seal and vitamin C. If you are taking a good vitamin you really don't need that many extra. Try to find some Nutrilite or herbalife vitamins and just take them as directed and you will get all you pay for.
  • GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    ummm... idk... but i do know that if i take them on an empty stomach (or even if i have a "light" breakfast), i feel awful, like i'm about to vomit...
  • mawhite717
    Options

um, to make me feel better. lol. i dont like OTC meds (like, cold and sinus meds)
  • asusfan
    asusfan Posts: 6
    Options
    "i've had a cold for about 4 or 5 days and i've been popping them like candy, but the past 2 days i've been really tired, weak, dizzy and lightheaded. is that bad? "

Woah, woah, woah, MV are meant to be taken once a day, some of the vitamin and minerals(fat soluble) in the MV can become toxic if you take too many. One MV will give you the max benefits(100 % DV), taking more after that is just overkill and potentially harmful. Personally I take a Centrum every other day in the morning before breakfast. Hope this helps
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you pop multivitamins like candy???? Are you aware that some vitamins are toxic in large amounts (specifically A, D, and E)? Large doses of other vitamins can act like a laxative...it is really a terrible idea to take more than one multivitamin a day unless otherwise prescribed by a doctor.
  • mawhite717
    Options
    i have been taking them before breakfast and i dont eat much for breakfast. thats probably whats doing it. thanks :o)
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I believe you can cause your body to go unbalanced. . go with the recommended dosage.
  • Flyntiggr
    Options

um, to make me feel better. lol. i dont like OTC meds (like, cold and sinus meds)

Ummmm -- This is risky and actually pretty stupid. A multivitamin will not make you feel better or your cold go away any faster. And like others said - in high doses, some vitamins can actually do more harm than good...
  • mawhite717
    Options

Ummmm -- This is risky and actually pretty stupid. A multivitamin will not make you feel better or your cold go away any faster. And like others said - in high doses, some vitamins can actually do more harm than good...

i may have made a mistake, but im not stupid!
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options

I wouldn't think that 'popping them like candy' 'to make you feel better' is going to work. I would just suggest taking the recomended dose, taking them with meals, & then just taking care of yourself in meantime (plenty of water, plenty of rest, getting enough exercise, and eating good foods-maybe upping your vitamin C with orange juice etc.) to help you feel better. Hope you get to feeling better tho. =)
  • mawhite717
    Options
    i didnt know they would hurt me and i though taking a *kitten* load of them a day would make me feel better quicker. i mean, they're vitamins... i didnt know they could hurt you.
  • widmar
    widmar Posts: 72
    Options
    I know that if I take too many (different kinds of course- not one a day's), I can feel really icky.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i may have made a mistake, but im not stupid! c

your actions were stupid, not you
  • Flyntiggr
    Options
    i may have made a mistake, but im not stupid! c

your actions were stupid, not you

^this