Anyone else set MFP at 0.5 lb/week loss?

melsinct
melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
I upped my calories from when I started MFP but have been only dipping my toes in the 0.5 lb/week pool. I plateaued for a while, upped my calories a little, and started to lose again. However, I am fearful of upping them yet again. I started yesterday with MFP set for losing 0.5 lb/week, but am afraid to hit the 1700 calorie a day mark (that doesn't include exercise). It just seems too close to maintenance calories (1900)! I have 11 pounds left until goal.

So for those who went from having their MFP settings at a 1-2 pound/week loss and switched to a 0.5 lb/week loss, did it help you? Hurt you? Just looking for any feedback you may have!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,358 Member
    When you get to this point, your body is going to hang on to that ten pounds with all it's got.

The last ten requires focus, and increased exercise. Yes, I ate the calories, and I'm set at .5 right now. It works. You are going to go to maintenance anyway, and you can't expect to go from 1400 to 1900 overnight. The trick is to ease back up so you don't gain weight.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,304 Member
    I"m still tweeking things, but I've been at 0.7 roughly for over a month (@ 1500 daily) and I am seeing more of a downward trend (I fluctuate a lot throughout the week, so I notice what my overall low is and keep track that way). I was maintaining for months at 200 less calories and then started gaining around Jan/Feb so I upped my cals 100 at a time until now. I might up them again next week since I just got a handle on getting this many cals in a day. Lol.

I have about 15lbs to go, btw.
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    I'm set at 1/2 pound a week and have been for about 2 months. I started with 2 lbs. a week and kept decreasing as I wasn't losing. I started with 20 lbs. to lose and am now down to the last 2-3 lbs. On average I lose a pound a week anyway with exercise. My base calories not counting exercise is 1430. Even still if I don't eat almost all my calories I will stop losing. I do try to leave a hundred or so at the end of the day to account for underestimation of food and over estimation of exercise calories burned.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I started at a pound a week and bumped it up to half a pound not too long ago. Right now it has me set at 1680 and I may hit that without exercise but with exercise forget it.... I'd be eating forever!

So far it has only helped and not hurt... I've lost another 5 pounds doing that. I'm also on to my last ten(maybe 20 if I'm feeling ambitious!) and I know its going to be a pain to get rid of. Hopefully this will help though!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Thanks for all of your replies! Ever since I hit the halfway mark of my weight loss, every pound has been stubborn to come off. I now understand why I always hear about how hard it is to lose the last 10 pounds!
This discussion has been closed.