Anyone else deal with snapping hip syndrome?

Options
I deal with this, and most of the time it's just annoying, but it does hurt as well. Doing any sort of leg lifts [like lying down and bringing a straightened leg up towards my head/chest] will cause my hips [usually right] to make an audible pop sometimes with pain.

I was reading up on it, and horseback riders are prone to it, as well as people who participate in other sports.

How do you guys deal with it? I'm trying to look up ways to help stretch out the hip muscles and build strength, but not coming up with anything worthwhile that I don't already do.

Replies

• LettyM62
    LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yoga has really helped me with this problem. I've been doing it for a couple of years and I've noticed that my hips don't pop as much as they used to.
  • zumpy
    zumpy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes I know what you mean. It's VERY annoying!! I've been to the chiropractor and physical therapist and there's really nothing they can do. They've given me plenty of stretches that I've tried them faithfully and no results. They said they could give cortizone shots, but I don't feel like going that route and don't think it'll help the tightens of the ligaments, it'll just handle the pain. No matter how much we stretch I think we're stuck with it :S.

If you find something that helps keep me updated, I'd love to get rid of it!!!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's a constant thorn in my side along with an old knee injury... both sustained from years of gymnastics and other sports. I'm now 43 and the snapping hip is the most irritating because it interferes with my workouts. Lately I have had to lay off of the elliptical and P90X because it has flared up again. To help reduce the occurrences, I stretch a lot plus take a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement. I tried drinking that Elation beverage, but it didn't do anything for me.
  • yazil1304
    yazil1304 Posts: 2
    Options
    I do!. It's quite annoying at times. I also do yoga (1 year) and I havent seen a difference. I just figured as long as it doesnt hurt I will be ok :)
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have it too... Been meaning to go to physio for it.
    For me it's from have 3 kids & "balancing" them on my left hip... My hips is actually out a few inches because of it.