P90X?

Options
Has anyone tried this? I have a couple friends who do it and they say its killer. (and they're in much better shape than me) any tips on if i should start that or something else? all i do now is walk and swim.

Replies

• genie98
    genie98 Posts: 62
    Options
    I just ordered the TurboFire workout sets. I have heard that are great and are geared to women. You can go on there website it is, beachbody.com. I think its close to the P90X but this is for women. I have heard it is pretty intense too.
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    It's a great program. Yes, it is very tough. Especially the first few weeks. Ask your friends if you can take their fit test to see if you "qualify" to do the program. Or, just dive in. The routines are structured in a manner that allows you to adapt them to your level of fitness.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I did the fitness test for P90x and failed... So instead im doing the easier Power 90 version.
    I think theres 3.. P90, then P90 master series. And then P90x..
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    It's not the kind of program you can just get off the couch and do. You need to be in basic shape before even attempting it. I technically pass the fitness test to start it and still die and can't get through the videos. So I've chosen to just start with AbRipperX and Yoga two or three times a week on top of my regular cardio and weights.
  • mict197
    mict197 Posts: 12
    Options
    It absolutely IS a program you can get off the couch and do. You may not be able to get very far in the workout, but you just keep working until you finally finish. Tony Horton even preaches taking breaks if you need them. Remember, doing something is better than nothing.
  • ARMom8251
    ARMom8251 Posts: 194
    Options
    Wow P90X is a very intense workout, but it can be done with dedication(I havent gotten that full dedication yet..lol). I have started this several times, and I am about to start again for the third time, but this time I am doing it as an after work workout program where I work. There have been several people here who have wanted to do it, and I have the videos so we are gonna "Bring It" together. Maybe with a little more accountability I can finally finish this. I currently run almost everyday(I would run everyday if I could manage to get away from life). When I started this running, it wasn't really running more walking, I never dreamed I would honestly love it but I do. Running has been a great stress reliever and I have lost 42 pounds since Jan. with a healthy eating and running combination, so running has been just as good for me as P90X. What is important to understand is if you decide to do P90X don't try to hurt yourself keeping up with them because it just won't happen. If you can't do it all so what do what you can and nothing more. At the same time I say that don't be afraid to push yourself a little beyond what you think you can do because you will be amazed at how strong of a person you are.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It's not the kind of program you can just get off the couch and do. You need to be in basic shape before even attempting it. I technically pass the fitness test to start it and still die and can't get through the videos. So I've chosen to just start with AbRipperX and Yoga two or three times a week on top of my regular cardio and weights.

Agreed. It's primarily designed for those that are in decent shape but want to take it to the next level. That being said I was 214 pounds when I started and hadn't really lifted weights in a long time. the first weeks were brutal. Now 4+ rounds later I'm holding steady at 180 and about 12% body fat. You are shown how to modify every single move if you can do it as shown. So if you can't do pullups, they show you how to use a resistance band. If you go for it, just know it is not a quick fix. You have to work hard and trust the program.

Like anything, you get out of it what you put into it.

Tim
  • Smiff916
    Smiff916 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's a good program. I lost 28lbs and now starting insanity. That will kill me. You cannot not get discouraged doing it though. You absolutely will not be able to complete every exercise or keep up. You have to remember to do the best you can, use the modifications ans stay positive. The people in in the video are already in shape and have been doing this for a while. You will improve as you go without a doubt. I was worried since I was 5'10'' and 260lbs, not your typical fitness profile. I'm down to 232 and feeling much better. I go on 3-5 day hikes with friends carring a 35lb pack 5-8 miles each day. I cannot believe the difference now as I hike. I feel stronger in my core and shoulders and cardio is a huge improvement. I hope this helps you out a bit. Goodluck!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I did the fitness test for P90x and failed... So instead im doing the easier Power 90 version.
    I think theres 3.. P90, then P90 master series. And then P90x..

There is also P90X Plus for after P90X. It's tough, I would also suggest if you aren't quite ready you start with something a little more mild first. As I think you are more likely to be successful if you start a program that you believe you have better chances of completing. It is tough - and you can do it - but it may be better to get your fitness to a better level first IMO. P90 is a super start and from what I hear - Turbo Fire is as well. It's a one hour a day or more committment, which time can be a factor - assume that with getting dressed, water, HRM, etc - you are into it about 1:30 6 days a week.

My son got Hip Hop Abs for his Bday - he loves Shaun T - and this has been a really fun program. I do it when I need something fast or as a second less intense work out.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I feel like anyone can do it. You just have to know where you limits are. Tony is wonderful about showing ways to mod exercises for those that need it and he does it in a way that makes it feel ok if you need to.

I am on day 33 and LOVING the program.

Google p90x fit test and try it. That will give you a decent idea of it.