COLD ALL THE TIME!

Options
So I have now lost approx. 38lbs (yay)....but now I can't like ever feel warm!!!!! I used to be the person in the room who would always be hot....and I had no problem with cooler temps..(I'm born and raised in wisconsin) but now..(livin in so cal) I am cold like 24 hrs a day! Stop complaining right? Just be happy that I finaly lost the weight?...ya I know, but it still sux. lol
Anybody else got this goin on?

Replies

• sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I have experienced this as well. I keep telling myself that I just lost the extra insulation and that is the reasoning behind it lol. I am hoping that once my body adapts to this new weight and when I hit my goal weight that it will adjusts itself cause I hate being cold!!!
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Try eating a little more. Sounds weird, but it could be a sign that your metabolism is slowing down. If I eat too little, I'll feel it right away. Google it, I'm not crazy!
  • HealthierIn2011
    Options
    What part of WI? I was born and raised there too, now I live in Phoenix - it's hard to be cold here! Although the guy in the office who controls the thermostat freezes me out...I have slippers and a fleece at my desk!
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    If it seems localized more to your feet, hands, or even your nose it could be Primary Raynaud's Disease/Syndrome. You typically have to have signs/symptoms for about 18 months before getting a diagnosis, but all they can really do is teach you how to avoid triggers (stress, long periods of inactivity, cold, drafts, caffeine, etc.) and maybe take a slow-release niacin supplement.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 lbs, and I can never get comfortable! In our meetings, I've got my winter wooly sweater on, while my co-worker is fanning. When I'm able, I set the A/C to 80 just because it feels wonderful! It's been in the 90's here, but I have yet to wear anything with short sleeves. Yes, I'm cold all the time since I've lost the weight.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i lost 38 bs- and yes I got cold all the time... but I lost most of that weight over a year ago and it seems that I've readjusted a bit... so I think it eventually goes away??? I used to pride myself on being the crazy girl in the bikini surfing in 57 degree water.... last summer I had a hard time pulling it off (after losing 30 lbs)....but just this week I went out in the cold PNW ocean water and it was fine! So yeah, for a bit you'll notice but it's possible that your wonderful wintery ways are not gone for good (like that weight is!!)....
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I understand. I haven't lost a lot of weight recently, but being so tiny...I"m cold all the time. I was just in Florida at my parents and I was wearing a sweatshirt while it was 80 degrees. I couldn't bear the thought of jumping in their pool...tooo cold!!! Right now my thermostat says 77 and I'm wearing a light sweatshirt and still a little chilly. I am, however, drinking lots of cold water which definitely makes a difference for me.
  • agibsonky
    agibsonky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I aske dmy MD about this and he explained it with something about body size going down by a factor of 3, while the skin only goes down by a factor of 2 or something along those lines...anyway, it's normal to feel cold with weight loss. It's currently 95 degrees in Kenducky and I'm FINALLY warm!
  • sunnybigmc
    sunnybigmc Posts: 29
    Options
    I've lost 37lbs and I am that way too. I don't have all that fat keeping me warm anymore lol. but don't worry.. your body will adjust.
  • rockinbettygrl
    rockinbettygrl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i lost 38 bs- and yes I got cold all the time... but I lost most of that weight over a year ago and it seems that I've readjusted a bit... so I think it eventually goes away??? I used to pride myself on being the crazy girl in the bikini surfing in 57 degree water.... last summer I had a hard time pulling it off (after losing 30 lbs)....but just this week I went out in the cold PNW ocean water and it was fine! So yeah, for a bit you'll notice but it's possible that your wonderful wintery ways are not gone for good (like that weight is!!)....
    HA! I used to pride myself on being the chick who in the dead of winter never wore a "real" winter coat..."never sacrafice comfort for fashion"...:)
  • rockinbettygrl
    rockinbettygrl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What part of WI? I was born and raised there too, now I live in Phoenix - it's hard to be cold here! Although the guy in the office who controls the thermostat freezes me out...I have slippers and a fleece at my desk!
    Kenosha County
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Funny. I was just thinking the same thing. I've only lost 6 pounds, but I"ve been cold for at least a couple of weeks now. When I get home from work, I put PJ's on, slippers [or wool socks] and crawl into bed to watch TV, just to get warm...:ohwell: I keep telling my husband it's bedtime, so he can get in and warm up the bed. Of course, he thinks I'm being frisky...hardly :wink:

I'm hoping this lasts through the summer...would be nice not to feel like I'm m.e.l.t.i.n.g all summer long...:tongue:

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • MaryKatU
    MaryKatU Posts: 146
    Options
    After I lost 35lbs a few years ago, I was cold all the time. Turned out I was low on iron.
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Another reason for being cold is not eating enough calories if you are excercising. You body requires a set amount of energy for basic functions, if it is not getting enough by the way of food it will start to take away from certain functions. Here is an explantaion I found:

You can go for months and months and months exercising and living on 1400 Calories per day. Your body can easily acclimate to this Calorie level. Women who pledge low Calorie for life in order to gain longevity benefits live on 1400 to 1500 Calories for years and years and years. Men who pledge low Calorie for life are on about 1700 to 1800 Calories. These people are very serious about their high quality food choices 100% of the time. They do not eat a piece of birthday cake on their birthdays; they do not eat a traditional holiday meal on any holiday; etc.

What does this tell you? You are acclimated to eating 1400 Calories per day. Your body is surviving on that and is thus not in a fat loss mode. It is surviving because it has altered what is called the Bioenergetic Equation that describes how your body allocates your fuels (the food you eat) for survival and reproduction. You are putting less Calories toward body heat production and toward activity than you would at a higher Calorie level. You may or may not notice that you feel colder than you did at a higher Calorie intake. You may or may not notice that you simply move slower and you move less all day long through your activities. You may even be sleeping more than before. You may also be putting less Calories toward egg production, immune system function, tissue repair, and other things.

Any Calorie deficit moves the body's Bioenergetic Equation to adjust "down". There are lots of things you can do to fight this adjustment. One important trick of many: make sure the Calorie deficit between energy in (what you eat that is absorbed into the blood stream) and energy out (what you burn or turn into other things like stored glycogen, stored fat, new tissue) isn't overly large. The experts say that the maximum OK deficit between energy in and energy out is 500 to 1000 Calories per day, values which equate to the one to two pounds of loss per week rate. I think for people who don't have much to lose, the deficit should be more like 250 or even 200 Calories per week. Another important trick of many that can be used to fight the "acclimation advantage" (LOL! It is a survival advantage even though with all of this food available we don't look at it as an advantage.) is to not eat the same amount of Calories every day for many days in a row. If you eat maintenance level Calories on some days of the week and deficit level Calories on other days, your body will be less likely to adjust down to the lower Calorie days.

If you want to be super fit and lean, you have to eat and exercise to turn your body into a fat burning machine rather than a fat storing machine.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    All the freakin' time. Until the last couple of days when it's been 25C + here, I've been freezing the whole time. It's ridiculous! I do a lot of open water swimming and I've never bothered with a wetsuit before. Worried about that one!