Replies

• nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    hydrate! and sunscreen!
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Just do your best and most of all, HAVE FUN!!
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    LOL, I have no advice! However, I think it's awesome, and I wanted to wish you luck!!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K a couple of weeks ago and wished I had carried water with me, even just a small water bottle. Also, just have fun!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Amen to that! and good luck!
  • BartInPC
    BartInPC Posts: 2
    Options
    Run your own tempo you've become accustomed to. You'll still probably see a faster time for yourself even when you watch it. I was hoping to do less than 40 minutes for my first 5k, and when the actual race came I was less than 35 minutes. Now a days I can't run a normal three miles in less than 30 minutes during my regular training, but my last 5k I did it just under 29 minutes. That competitive boost will help you as long as you don't let it kill your legs early on. :)

Have fun!!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Use the bathroom before you go! I made the mistake of not doing this --- couldn't enjoy the race! Lol.
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308
    Options
    You can do it!! Keep your own pace, don't worry about people passing you. Keep telling yourself you can do it, you are ready. If you get tired, tell yourself "This is just a few more minutes of my life." You are ready!!!
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Run at your pace. I made the mistake of trying to run too fast for my first 5K and paid for it towards the end. Have fun!!!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Just have fun and enjoy yourself! The first 5K is always fun, because you're surrounded by all kinds of cool people, and the atmosphere is just so energized. Don't forget sunscreen and maybe a hat, if it's sunny and hot, but otherwise? Go out there and kick some butt!
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Get rest the night before, hydrate & eat healthy carbs (don't need a whole lot -maybe bowl of oatmeal or a banana with peanut butter etc...whatever your stomach can handle) 30 mins before. HAVE FUN and Good Luck :)
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Have fun! Don't start out to fast - that's one of the most common mistakes beginners make, and it's really tempting when everyone takes off, but just run at your own pace - if you feel good, you can always take it up a notch for the last mile (and then you'll pass the people who started too fast and don't have the legs left :-) )
  • nhk2011
    nhk2011 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch before and after the race ,wear comfortable sneakers and have wet wrist band on hand!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Granted, I've only run two, and both were slow... :laugh:

Mind your pace and don't gut it out too much at the beginning. conserve your energies for a strong finish.

Avoid eating beforehand and make sure you get your toilet duties done the night before and before heading to the race. No one enjoys having prairie dogs show up during the race.

Oh... and HAVE FUN!
  • lisapickering
    Options
    Have Fun!!

Do what you would normally do when you go for a run... if you normally eat before you run, then having something to eat, wear the clothes and shoes that you normally wear to run. Trying something new on race day isn't a good idea, you don't want to ruin the experience.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    eat pasta for dinner tonight,,, not sure what it does but it's what our coach tells our players the day before a tournament.
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!:flowerforyou:

you are all super awesome! I think I'm more excited then nervous now haha. :bigsmile:
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You have awesome advice so far, so I agree with everyone. I will stress two already said, make sure to hydrate and keep your own pace. Sometimes the adrenaline and crowd causes you to push out faster and you have less energy towards the end to finish. Keep checking your time the first mile to make sure you are doing ok. So if it’s a big crowd, fall back, keep to the side and have a fantastic time! Crossing the finish is the best feeling.