How on earth can I stay within my sugar goal???

charliebird
charliebird Posts: 168 Member
edited September 28 in Food and Nutrition
I am on 1200 calories a day and my target set by MFP is 25. However I have had one apple (16 sugar) and one banana (14 sugar) which has put me over by 5!!!

This seems a bit silly as I need to be eating fruit and veg!

Any ideas?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    Use that to track your added sugars (in processed foods)
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    I am on 1200 calories a day and my target set by MFP is 25. However I have had one apple (16 sugar) and one banana (14 sugar) which has put me over by 5!!!

This seems a bit silly as I need to be eating fruit and veg!

Any ideas?

Only worry about refined sugars, fruits do not count toward that. The reason is that most fruit has a lot of fiber in it as well which prevents your body from absorbing most of the natural sugars in fruit. So enjoy your fruit without stress, it is good for you.
  • dcdc13
    dcdc13 Posts: 86
    This is what I've learned and practice. It's very importatn to see how much sugar you are intaking, but the best sugar from fruits are important to. I would look at the Low Glycemic Index, it tells you what fruits, and other foods have a low glycemic index. Apples are great, bannanas are good but they are high in sugar content. I think if you eat foods from the low glycemic index you will be fine.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    MFP doesnt differentiate between fruits and other sugars. I just dont really look at it on here, but I have tried to cut out refined sugars (candy...etc...) so i know that I am ok. I think it would only be an issue if you are eating WAY to much fruit....because even natural sugar can be a problem in excess.
  • Don't worry about the sugar from fruit... you should only have 2 pieces of fruit per day though. Focus on ensuring that the rest of the sugar in your diet is controlled.
  • ABL0930
    ABL0930 Posts: 16 Member
    Fruits and vegs are super important, but for most of us, we have to limit the higher sugar ones! Try having a half an apple or banana with a tablespoon of PB or a cheese stick - more balanced snack.

Also try berries - they're lower.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Sugar is the hardest to stay in the limits, im always over. With fruit i will quarter up a apple and eat 1/4 slice and maybe a half of a banana. This is a controversial topic because I hear both sides, some say sugar is sugar no matter what and some say sugar in fruit is ok?
  • I'm having the same issue. My calories, fat, and carbs are below target. My sugar intake is way over. There is no refined sugar in my diet it all comes from fruit and berries. I've lost about 20 lbs in less than month so natural sugars may not cause the problems that refined sugars can cause. I really like fruit and berries, so I'll keep doing it this way as long as it works
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    I'm always over on sugar - but it's mainly from fruit. I just ignore it and focus on the calories/fat/carbs. It's worked for me so far.:smile:

S
  • Here goes nothing....

There is no one food that will make you gain weight or lose weight in it of itself. Ingesting food=intaking calories.

Weight loss is determined by fat/protein/carb intake and comes down to energy balances, or the difference between calories in vs. calories out. As long as you remain in a deficit, you will lose weight, no matter where you get the calories from.

Now micronutrients like vitamins and minerals should be considered too, so getting a wide range of whole foods can be beneficial.

Fruit SHOULD NOT be avoided and DOES NOT slow weight loss.

The above statement is not intended for someone with diabetes or other MDs.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Use that to track your added sugars (in processed foods)

How do you track added sugar vs. natural sugar in food separately on this site?
  • jersey0725
    jersey0725 Posts: 62 Member
    Net carbs = total carbs - fiber
    I don't think this helps in any way, but I just remembered it.
This discussion has been closed.