So im concerned i may be hitting a wall :S

Options
As the post says i think i maybe hitting a plateau.

Could it be the fact i had a night out last friday 27th and had ALOT of alcohol, plus a bad day on the saturday after my night out?? i weighed myself on 28th and i was up 0.4lbs from the week before, weighed myself today and i only have lost 0.2lbs since then....

I never usually go over my calories, although i dont eat all my calories either, i no this is bad!!

Help and advice is much needed please! xx

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    alcohol and "night out" food (lots of sodium) can take DAYS to work they're way out of your system. You could still be retaining water...or it's close to TOM?

I just looked at your diary, and I am going to say one thing...
    Eat More.

At your weight (going by your goals in your signature), netting under 1200 like you do so often is a HUGE deficit. That doesn't even fuel your basic life functions. Even in a COMA you need more calories than that.

Look up your BMR, and change your cal goal to something close to that. I am guessing your maintenance is close to 3000, so even 1500 would be 3 pounds per week! and you are eating 1200? That's WAY too little unless a doctor is monitoring it closely.

You could eat 2000 a day and still lose. I eat that to maintain and I am 5'2" 108 lbs.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    It may be the alcohol...I haven't had alcohol in MONTHS. I was invited to go out for beers next thursday...don't plan on drinking. I can't bring myself to do it lol...beer = liquid butter... in my head.

I say give it another week and drink TONS of water...
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Are we only talking about one week without a loss/with a small loss? One week does not make a plateau, especially for us women who can have water fluctuations with our cycles.

I went camping last weekend and although I didn't go over on total calories, I ate a lot of foods I just don't normally eat anymore (french bread for example) and didn't drink nearly enough water. Got on the scale Monday and crud, I "gained" 3 lbs. I knew it wasn't a real gain, and when I weighed myself the next day, I was at a half pound loss from the week before (ie down 3.5 lbs from the day before). Don't panic yet. :wink:

And yes, alcohol is dehydrating so you'd need a few days at least of good water drinking to recover from that alone.
  • MrsTits
    MrsTits Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had exactly the same thing in the month of April, only lost 4lbs in 4 weeks (2lb, 1lb, 1lb, STS).

I was told I wasn't having enough kcals for my size and that I should eat more or zig zag my cals. So that's what I did and I lost 16lbs in May.

You're basically eating the amount that a 14 or 15 stone woman should be having to lose 1-2lbs a week and that's not enough nutrition for your size...plus when you do get to 14-15 stone, what are you going to be eating then...you'll have nothing left to reduce.

I'm guilty of not having all my kcals too...sometimes it just feels like too much food to be eating and expecting to lose weight but you can definitely afford to have at least 500 - 600 kcals a day more.

Your body will get used to the amount your having and learn to deal with that so you have to keep it guessing so your metabolism doesn't get too comfortable. Try maybe upping your kcals by 400-600 on one day, then drop back down the next day, then up the day after and see how you go for a week or two.

I gave the same advice to a girl on another forum who was having very slow losses and the week she tried zigzagging she lost 4lbs compared to months of 0.5lbs a week.
  • leamatthew
    leamatthew Posts: 162
    Options
    alcohol and "night out" food (lots of sodium) can take DAYS to work they're way out of your system. You could still be retaining water...or it's close to TOM?

Eat More.

At your weight (going by your goals in your signature), netting under 1200 like you do so often is a HUGE deficit. That doesn't even fuel your basic life functions. Even in a COMA you need more calories than that.

Look up your BMR, and change your cal goal to something close to that. I am guessing your maintenance is close to 3000, so even 1500 would be 3 pounds per week! and you are eating 1200? That's WAY too little unless a doctor is monitoring it closely.

You could eat 2000 a day and still lose. I eat that to maintain and I am 5'2" 108 lbs.

I find it hard to eat 2000 cals per day, my head tells me im being a fatty!! :S

I no i do go quite a bit under my daily allowance tho, but i feel if im having 3 proper meals a day then my body shudnt need the extra cals...it says on here im ment to consume 2180 cals per day but if im honest i just cant seem to fit all that in
  • leamatthew
    Options
    I had exactly the same thing in the month of April, only lost 4lbs in 4 weeks (2lb, 1lb, 1lb, STS).

I was told I wasn't having enough kcals for my size and that I should eat more or zig zag my cals. So that's what I did and I lost 16lbs in May.

You're basically eating the amount that a 14 or 15 stone woman should be having to lose 1-2lbs a week and that's not enough nutrition for your size...plus when you do get to 14-15 stone, what are you going to be eating then...you'll have nothing left to reduce.

I'm guilty of not having all my kcals too...sometimes it just feels like too much food to be eating and expecting to lose weight but you can definitely afford to have at least 500 - 600 kcals a day more.

Your body will get used to the amount your having and learn to deal with that so you have to keep it guessing so your metabolism doesn't get too comfortable. Try maybe upping your kcals by 400-600 on one day, then drop back down the next day, then up the day after and see how you go for a week or two.

I gave the same advice to a girl on another forum who was having very slow losses and the week she tried zigzagging she lost 4lbs compared to months of 0.5lbs a week.

I did wonder about upping to 1600 per day (thats what i told my doc i had and he thought that was low but fine)

So u reckon every other day try to have like 500 more cals?? feck it seems alot, makes me panic:S
  • robin52077
    Options

Eat More.

I find it hard to eat 2000 cals per day, my head tells me im being a fatty!! :S

I no i do go quite a bit under my daily allowance tho, but i feel if im having 3 proper meals a day then my body shudnt need the extra cals...it says on here im ment to consume 2180 cals per day but if im honest i just cant seem to fit all that in

if its telling you 2180 per day, assuming you chose 2 lbs per week, then maintenance is 3180!!!!!
    1680 per day would be 3 lbs per week, and even that is too fast, but the more you have to lose the faster you can safely go, so I would say try to get at LEAST 1680 per day for a while and see what happens.

The 2180 they give you is a goal to REACH to LOSE 2 lbs per week, not a goal to try to stay UNDER. By staying so far under it for so long you could be drastically and permanently screwing up your metabolism.

Please eat more. Between 1680 and 2180 a day to start, and see what happens. Please. You may regret it later if you don't and end up causing health issues.
  • robin52077
    Options

I did wonder about upping to 1600 per day (thats what i told my doc i had and he thought that was low but fine)

So u reckon every other day try to have like 500 more cals?? feck it seems alot, makes me panic:S

so you lied to your doctor about eating 1600 when its really 1200, and he said it's LOW but fine.

He said 1600 WAS LOW. And you still try to stay below 1200? Your doctor is there to help you do this safely and stay healthy. If you lie to him its not even worth your time to go.
    You are showing signs of anorexia by lying to your own doctor about how little you actually consume. Please be honest and do this the healthy way.
  • leamatthew
    Options

so you lied to your doctor about eating 1600 when its really 1200, and he said it's LOW but fine.

He said 1600 WAS LOW. And you still try to stay below 1200? Your doctor is there to help you do this safely and stay healthy. If you lie to him its not even worth your time to go.
    You are showing signs of anorexia by lying to your own doctor about how little you actually consume. Please be honest and do this the healthy way.

I eat on average 1400 a day, only some days ive been 1200....as for anorexia, i doubt that hugely! i weigh 384lbs!!
  • MrsTits
    MrsTits Posts: 44 Member
    Options

It made me panic too but it worked! I think when you've struggled with your weight all your life it's very hard to get it into our heads that diet doesn't equal as little food as possible.
    My initial reaction when I had a small loss was immediately to eat even less...I still didn't lose the next week so I ate even less and was wondering what the bugger was going on when I still didn't lose.

Reading up about it though, it all made sense. If we don't eat enough for the body to function then the body will slow the metabolism down so it can reserve fat/energy because it's not getting enough. Give it a bit more food and the metabolism will speed up again.

Doesn't mean you have to start having crisps, chocolate and other stuff that may kick off a binge, just little things can make a difference...slightly larger portions, butter on your bread, full fat cheese spread...

When people told me to up my kcals I was like "I don't want to eat crap though" but really we should be enjoying the bit of freedom the extra calories bring cos when we get smaller we'll have less to play with.