Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Green Tea?????

Can you count green tea as your water intake???? I have never counted it but was wondering if I could????

Replies

• BeachLife76
    BeachLife76 Posts: 78 Member
    I wouldn't see why not. It's made with nothing but water! :) I drink decaf iced green tea all the time :smile:
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    No. Green tea is a caffeinated beverage and those usually act as diuretics, making you need to take in more water than usual to make up for the water it causes your body to shed.
    Unsweetened green tea is great for appetite control and stimulating weight loss, though, so bravo for drinking it. Drink it every day if you can!
    Just beware about drinking it if you haven't eaten for a long time and have a very empty stomach--it can sometimes make you throw up!
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Unfortunately, no. Green tea has caffeine. You should drink a cup of water after your cup of green tea. A friend of mine asked her doctor if anything other than water will count toward her water intake. The short and simple answer was "no" except for maybe a Crystal Light packet in the water. Tea doesn't count. Sorry. :(
  • smrtcar
    smrtcar Posts: 104 Member
    I would count it. It's not juice or beer, and contains no calories.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    It is a liquid. But i dont count it due to the sodium content.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Can you count green tea as your water intake???? I have never counted it but was wondering if I could????

Yes
  • bcattoes
    Unfortunately, no. Green tea has caffeine. You should drink a cup of water after your cup of green tea. A friend of mine asked her doctor if anything other than water will count toward her water intake. The short and simple answer was "no" except for maybe a Crystal Light packet in the water. Tea doesn't count. Sorry. :(

Green tea is extremely low in caffeine. Regular Lipton type tea has about 1/2 the caffein of most coffee. Black tea has bout half the caffeine of Lipton. Green tea has about half the caffeine of black tea. It is just as good as water.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    A lot of people count it, a lot of people don't. I only count water as water, but if it is caffeine free/un-sweetened green tea I'd say that yes you can count it if you want to. :)
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    No. Green tea is a caffeinated beverage and those usually act as diuretics, making you need to take in more water than usual to make up for the water it causes your body to shed.
    Unsweetened green tea is great for appetite control and stimulating weight loss, though, so bravo for drinking it. Drink it every day if you can!
    Just beware about drinking it if you haven't eaten for a long time and have a very empty stomach--it can sometimes make you throw up!

This is the correct answer, No you can't count it
  • bcattoes

When in doubt I always say "Google the experts'. Here is a good article from the Mayo Clinic on how much water you really need and how to get it (it doesn't have to be plain water). http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    I count tea as water. It may be a diuretic but it's still that much more water going through your system without all the extra stuff that some other soft drinks have.
  • kkmark
    kkmark Posts: 559 Member
    I am trying to drink green tea in morn and evening . I don't count it as water as i add some splenda in my tea Some do count some don't

But its good for health n weight loss
    Good luck

Kathy
  • mrstyler
    mrstyler Posts: 43
    I have never, ever had a doctor that wouldn't count it as water as long as it wasn't sweetened.

A.) It has very little caffeine [about 25mg for a 6-8oz cup]
    B.) Your body quickly gets used to the very mild diuretic effect and you will have no harm unless you are popping caffeine pills
    C.) Its all water.
    D.) I get about 90% of my approximately 100oz I drink from tea, have been doing so for about 3 years and I am a very hydrated person with no kidney problems.
    E. ) Asian countries have managed to drink a lot of tea for hundreds of years and they don't seem to be dropping like flies.

Both Family Practitioners I've seen also feel that up to 2 or 3 cups of coffee count each day too. Again, mostly water and your body adjusts to the caffeine.
  • bcattoes
    I count tea as water. It may be a diuretic but it's still that much more water going through your system without all the extra stuff that some other soft drinks have.

Me too. They provide an assortment of teas in my office for free so I drink it all day long. Hot, cold, either way I count it. I only drink plain water when I'm exercising and shockingly I'm very well hydrated and have already met my weight loss goal. It's hydration you need. And tea, which is loaded with antioxidants, has to be better than all the crap in artificial sweeteners. I like to keep it natural.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Generally, I try to only count unflavored/unsweetened, water only as my water, and count anything else as my water. But, I said generally! Some days I just can't stand the thought of drinking one drop more of water and have to do something to flavor it, or drink tea just for a change in routine. On those days, I only count unsweetened, caffeine free beverages in my total.
  • a_dawn
    a_dawn Posts: 47
    I drink 2 cups a day of green tea and I do count it as my water, but since I also drink 8 cups of straight water, I guess it doesn't really matter...lol. But in my opinion, green tea should count as part of your water intake.
  • Thank you all for your answers, I had been drinking the crystal light version and figured it might not be the real thing and found green tea kpacs for my Keurig coffee maker but I do sweeten it with one stevia. Have such a hard time getting my water in!!!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Green tea, according to Chinese herbalists, can help the body get rid of fat. http://www.livestrong.com/article/332930-can-green-tea-burn-stomach-fat/
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Green tea, according to Chinese herbalists, can help the body get rid of fat. http://www.livestrong.com/article/332930-can-green-tea-burn-stomach-fat/

I had green tea with all of my steaks and Snickers bars and it didn't work for me! What gives?!
  • Green tea, according to Chinese herbalists, can help the body get rid of fat. http://www.livestrong.com/article/332930-can-green-tea-burn-stomach-fat/

I had green tea with all of my steaks and Snickers bars and it didn't work for me! What gives?!

My thoughts exactly. I've been eating 5k over maintenance but following a strict green tea intake, and I'm still gaining weight.

feelsrealbad.jpg