What to do while healing?

Options
I injured my ankle while running (poor stretching). So I'm waiting for my ankle to heal before going back to the gym. I can now walk on it but I still can't run. Sunday will be two weeks and I'm losing my mind with all this "resting", so what can I do while I heal? Mind you, I just started truly exercizing this year and I don't want to lose my mojo. I feel myself slipping more and more. Especially, with chocolate and fried foods. Right now I'm still resisting smoking and Cokes, but that may be my last bit of hope (not to sound too dramatic).

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Try doing weight lifting or kettle bell exercises for your upper body. This will help tone and build calories while you recover.

Make sure that whatever you do is cleared with your doctor so that you don't further injure yourself.
  • galleri
    galleri Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had total ankle replacement and fusion of some bones in my foot back in February. I am still on crutches. If you can get to a pool, that is great for helping with the ankle, I tread water and do some swimming. Also I have been able to ride a stationary bike, so you might try those ideas.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Injuries are sooo frustrating!

Can you ride a bike? This is what my son did when he had a partial tear in his Achilles, and he had recovered but was still not recovered enough to run or do high impact activities.

Whatever you do, go slow so you don't injure yourself again!

Good luck!
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Swimming pool is great very low impact, you could swim or join aquasize class.
  • msminyon
    msminyon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I injured my right shoulder, I shifted the weight training to different parts of my body and started seeing a Chinese Accupunturist. Within a few visits I felt ready to start using weights again and am now almost totally recovered. I'm a former needle-fobic too but you hardly feel anything and I feel so calm and relaxed after the visit.
  • krb731
    krb731 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!