Skim Milk, Soy or Almond?

aimeeturner
aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
edited September 28 in Food and Nutrition
I am so confused on the topic of which milk is best. I am currently drinking skim milk in my protein shakes, which is about the only time I drink milk at all. I bought some unsweetened soy milk but it was just so thick that it was almost impossible to mix with my protein powder for my shakes. Advice?

Replies

• ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    I mix Silk vanilla soy milk with with just about everything. There are more calories, than skim milk, but more nutrients as well. If you can afford to add the calories to your diet, I would do that.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    almond milk unsweetend is my fav :smile:
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Ask 3 different people, you'll get 3 different answers. My personal money is on skim. The casein proteins in skim are a good compliment to whey protein (Whey absorbed by the muscles quickly, casein slowly).
  • britachu
    britachu Posts: 157
    I use almond milk when I drink shakes or smoothies, and I get soy when I go to coffee shops. If you're having a hard time mixing the protein powder w/ the almond milk, there's nothing wrong with using skim.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    almond milk unsweetend is my fav :smile:
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    I have tried my protein shakes with vanilla almond milk...not bad. Kinda yummy. :wink:
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    i love almond milk. and now it has more calcium than dairy milk. so with the low cals + added calcium i see no need for fatty dairy milk ;}
  • I reently prefer original almond milk, kind of nutty but not as thick. I also switch it up and drink soy or regular milk at different times as well. I like them all and keep them all as an option.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Personally I use skim milk because it's got more protein and less fat than the others. If you're looking strictly for least calories or least sugars, I think the unsweetened almond milk might fit the requirements better. So, as for which is "best", it depends on what you want and what you think fits best into your needs.
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    raw unpasturized milk is my fav!
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    raw unpasturized milk is my fav!

Fat doesn't make you fat FYI
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    I like the unsweetened vanilla almond milk, only 40 calories per cup. I prefer soy milk in my coffee though because it's creamier. The best way to sort it out is to try them all and find the one that YOU like the best. Even different brands of the same type can taste totally different.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    "There's no such thing as soy milk because there's no such thing as a soy t!t." - Lewis Black
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Id just like to mention that the almond milk we get in Canada has only 30% daily requirement whereas the stuff I get in Calif when we are down there has 45%. I was soooo dissappoined when I found that out as I need all the calcium I can get:ohwell:
    Although I do like it the best, unsweetened vanilla flavoured:smile:
  • mmcgille
    mmcgille Posts: 60 Member
    Do they sell smaller sizes of the almond or soy milks? My family likes regular cows milk, and I've been buying the almond milk....but I hate feeling like I'm wasting 1/2 the large container for just me.
  • CoachMaritova
    CoachMaritova Posts: 409 Member
    I am currently using and in love with the new FLAX MILK, available at Wal-mart (of all places)! I love it in my shakes!!!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I use almond milk when I drink shakes or smoothies, and I get soy when I go to coffee shops. If you're having a hard time mixing the protein powder w/ the almond milk, there's nothing wrong with using skim.

I do this too, my favorite is blue diamond original almond milk...I don't mix milk with my protein shake, I just use water so it's not so thick
  • darkhorse43
    darkhorse43 Posts: 70 Member
    Do they sell smaller sizes of the almond or soy milks? My family likes regular cows milk, and I've been buying the almond milk....but I hate feeling like I'm wasting 1/2 the large container for just me.

Almond Breeze makes a shelf stable one in a smaller container. That's what I generally buy.
  • i like vanilla soy light myself. prefer skim in my coffee though...
  • crankyrobot
    crankyrobot Posts: 74 Member
    Rice milk is a good alternative as well, especially if you're mixing with protein powder. It's also got far less calories and you can buy it in flavors.
This discussion has been closed.