So I'm watching Biggest Loser....um...

Options
How in the heck are these people losing so much weight in a week? Is it because they were heavier to begin with??? I honestly don't get it...by the way...I'm totally hooked on this show....never watched it until tonight and I''ve been on this "diet" since July...I need to weigh in after TOM...hopefully I can stay consistent with 1 pound a week loss...but jeeze, these people are losing what I want to lose total in ONE WEEK!!!! Sign me up!!!

Replies

• michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    How in the heck are these people losing so much weight in a week? Is it because they were heavier to begin with??? I honestly don't get it...by the way...I'm totally hooked on this show....never watched it until tonight and I''ve been on this "diet" since July...I need to weigh in after TOM...hopefully I can stay consistent with 1 pound a week loss...but jeeze, these people are losing what I want to lose total in ONE WEEK!!!! Sign me up!!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    did you see the one guy logging his exercise cals? 3500 and they werent done for the day!

if you had NOTHING to do all day but eat healthy food and exercise you would lose weight like that too.

annnnnnnnnnndddddd what are they going to do when they go home?

dont get me wrong, I love this show and havent stopped crying since it started tonight.
  • onwardfatgirl
    Options
    They work out like 8-10 hours a day (I don't know if it's really THAT often, but I know it's up there) and have personal chefs preparing healthy, low-cal meals for them. They also have no access to tv, internet, etc. While I watch the show, the program isn't realistic for normal everyday people.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    plus it is the first week. guaranteed last week they ate so much pizza and crap-loaded with sodium...they lost mostly fluids.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Sobbing like a baby over here too!:sad:

And Heba is from near me!! Raleigh, NC baybee!!
    http://www.nbc.com/The_Biggest_Loser/contestants/current_cast/heba/

Oh, I hope they don't get voted off. I just love Heba already!

And Onward, check out the other thread we have going about the Biggest Loser. They are losing in a pretty unhealthy way..... lemme find that link... brb with it
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    i think they have to cook for themselves...they just have nutritionists giving them info. and of course the show buys their food
  • onwardfatgirl
    Options
    i think they have to cook for themselves...they just have nutritionists giving them info. and of course the show buys their food

Yeah, actually I remember when Bob and Jillian showed them how to make turkey burgers and oatmeal, so I imagine they do cook for themselves.

I think essentially what the show does is it teaches people who have NO clue about nutrition and fitness how to incorporate it into their lifestyle. Like, look, you can still have a burger, but eat it on a whole grain bun with ground turkey/chicken and reduced fat cheese. I still get super emotional when I watch it (didn't catch it tonight, I just got out of class!) but I still think it can either do two things to viewers at home: trigger them into attempting unhealthy weight loss OR motivate them to work hard to achieve their goals. I hope that it does the latter, but I know many times I've been the former and have gone to extremes to attempt to keep up.
  • onwardfatgirl
    Options

Thanks! I'll have to read through all of that tonight.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Usually, the heavier you are the quicker weight will come off... until that dreaded plateau.

However, I must say that this is the first time I've ever seen this show and it actually kinda pisses me off! Why? Because it places unidealistic notions in people's heads. It makes people feel they are "not good enough." Whether it's the contestant who has lost the least OR the people watching the show thinking that they aren't good enough because they aren't losing what the contestants are.
    Frankly, it's not really a healthy show from that aspect.
    Weight loss is not a competition... it's a journey... it's a lifestyle. It shouldn't be punishment for wrong doing. It should be a reward for loving ourselves.
    The show was designed as a competition... it pushes people more than they should be, both emotional and physical. It's not meant to translate to real life.
    So, watch it for enjoyment... but please don't try to recreate what they do on the show.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Most of them are morbidly obese with BMRs near 4000 calories. Bump them down to 1200 calories a day, and that's a 2800 calorie deficit along with whatever they burn from exercise. It's quite possible for them to lose 7-8 lbs a week, a little more with water weight.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Usually, the heavier you are the quicker weight will come off... until that dreaded plateau.

However, I must say that this is the first time I've ever seen this show and it actually kinda pisses me off! Why? Because it places unidealistic notions in people's heads. It makes people feel they are "not good enough." Whether it's the contestant who has lost the least OR the people watching the show thinking that they aren't good enough because they aren't losing what the contestants are.
    Frankly, it's not really a healthy show from that aspect.
    Weight loss is not a competition... it's a journey... it's a lifestyle. It shouldn't be punishment for wrong doing. It should be a reward for loving ourselves.
    The show was designed as a competition... it pushes people more than they should be, both emotional and physical. It's not meant to translate to real life.
    So, watch it for enjoyment... but please don't try to recreate what they do on the show.

As far as a winner and loser...it is a TV show, not TBall.
    No one would watch it if it was the Biggest Losers..everybody wins....no one goes home.

That being said I agree they set viewers up for unrealisitic weight loss goals. Who can be happy with a 1 pound loss when they see someone lose 29 pounds in 1 week.

They fail to mention that 2 wks prior they ate their way through NJ and were so loaded with sodium they lost 15 gallons of water!
    :happy:
  • pecksun8
    Options
    At the end of the show, they said that week two was the kiss of death for all the contestants because they have already lost all of the water weight and most of them either lose zero or maybe one pound. Maybe it will be different?

I missed the first competition, what did they have them do?
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    At the end of the show, they said that week two was the kiss of death for all the contestants because they have already lost all of the water weight and most of them either lose zero or maybe one pound. Maybe it will be different?

1 mile up hill and then they got a flag. The yellow team won immunity which they really needed cuz dad cant exercise. I want them to win!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

1 mile up hill and then they got a flag. The yellow team won immunity which they really needed cuz dad cant exercise. I want them to win!

I'm pulling for them and the father/son team. :noway:

That entire family (gray team?) needs help in the worst way!