ground beef prep

Options
I know it sounds gross but I drain my ground beef in my noodle strainer then rinse it when its done (Not thouroughly just a tiny bit) to get out the grease. My bf thinks its gross even though I have been doing it for months and he didnt know until he saw me do it. Anyone else do this

Replies

• krystalmoore1986
    krystalmoore1986 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds gross but I drain my ground beef in my noodle strainer then rinse it when its done (Not thouroughly just a tiny bit) to get out the grease. My bf thinks its gross even though I have been doing it for months and he didnt know until he saw me do it. Anyone else do this
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    good idea. I buy the 7% so there isnt much fat, but it is expensive. maybe i will try your way:drinker:
  • froggirl
    Options
    I've done it but I find ground turkey to be a better buy as well as better nutritionally. Also, I get less heartburn from ground turkey than from ground beef.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I totally do the strainer thing with 90% lean ground beef...then I actually take a wad of paper towel and get the rest of the grease off....Hubs has no clue...although he suspects something fishy when there is no grease in his sloppy joe, slop, sloppy joe (to the tune of the SNL skit "Lunch Lady Land" with Adam Sandler and Chris Farley-check it out on YouTube...hilarious...you will never make sloppy joes again without singing that song).
  • AmyJ
    AmyJ Posts: 14
    Options
    My husband and I both do this too. We usually buy 93/7, but what little greasy we have we rinse off.
  • familygirl37167
    familygirl37167 Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    I also run water over my ground beef after I am done cooking it, and husband and seen me and asked what I was doing and when I replied eating better he said huh and walked away, I think I won this one. LOL
  • krystalmoore1986
    krystalmoore1986 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both do this too. We usually buy 93/7, but what little greasy we have we rinse off.
    Ya thats what I did too.:laugh:
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing.....of course while no one is in the kitchen, and i also use the paper towel...makes a huge differance!!! We raise beef cattle, so i don't have the option to go to the store and buy the extra lean variety......so this works great!
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

LOL...I don't think it's gross....I thought everyone did that :huh:

I also put all meat on a paper towel when it's done to remove any excess grease...especially sausage. You'd be suprised at the amount of fat you can actually remove and avoid consuming. Even frozen pizzas ...if you dab a paper towel over them after cooked, you can see all the grease that comes off.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I've done it but I find ground turkey to be a better buy as well as better nutritionally. Also, I get less heartburn from ground turkey than from ground beef.

Subbing ground turkey works in most anything..it really takes on the taste of the item you're cooking, chili meat, taco meat seasonings...and such. I did try a turkey burger once before I knew what I was doing and whoooooooosh, never made one again. I only just patty'ed up the ground turkey and placed it on the grill where it quickly fell apart. I didn't put anything with it which I think is crucial?

Anyone with any good turkey burger, or ground turkey anything recipes? I once tried ground chicken...I was browning it in the pan and tasted it...I found it ever so gritty...so I tossed it and have never purchased it again...perhaps it was merely a taste I don't care for.

How About the rest of you....your thoughts on Ground Chicken.

I used to rinse my Ground Beef out as well...I don't think it sounds gross at all...seeing all the fat at the bottom of the fry pan, well now that's gross. I prefer to by the 98% but then again, the cost anymore is a bit to much for that!

Great idea on the rinsing out the excess fat ....:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I also run water over my ground beef after I am done cooking it, and husband and seen me and asked what I was doing and when I replied eating better he said huh and walked away, I think I won this one. LOL

I know it probably does look strange :huh: to someone that's never done it or even thought of it..but hey...it's all about our health...and I for one...thought lots of other folks did it as well!:tongue:

:drinker: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :drinker: :heart:
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Subbing ground turkey works in most anything..it really takes on the taste of the item you're cooking, chili meat, taco meat seasonings...and such. I did try a turkey burger once before I knew what I was doing and whoooooooosh, never made one again. I only just patty'ed up the ground turkey and placed it on the grill where it quickly fell apart. I didn't put anything with it which I think is crucial?

Anyone with any good turkey burger, or ground turkey anything recipes? I once tried ground chicken...I was browning it in the pan and tasted it...I found it ever so gritty...so I tossed it and have never purchased it again...perhaps it was merely a taste I don't care for.

How About the rest of you....your thoughts on Ground Chicken.

I used to rinse my Ground Beef out as well...I don't think it sounds gross at all...seeing all the fat at the bottom of the fry pan, well now that's gross. I prefer to by the 98% but then again, the cost anymore is a bit to much for that!

Great idea on the rinsing out the excess fat ....:flowerforyou:

I use ground turkey for meatloaf..............I use ground turkey, one egg, some bread crumbs (1 or 2 pieces) onion and celery. Bake the same as you would meatloaf.

I have also subbed turkey in shepherd's pie. I just add a little more tomatoe sauce than w/ hamburger.