Help, I'm really confused! Regime for fat loss

Options
Ok, I know there should be plenty of info on here all ready for this, but I am STUCK! Please could someone(s) who know what they are doing look through my exercise regime and tell me if its suitable - the goal is fat loss, and I want muscle left at the end!

I work in a bar so on my feet for an average of 6 hours, 5 days a week.
My average week's worth of exercise looks like this:
Day 1: 15 minutes on cross trainer
Day 2: 1 hour pilates class
Day 3: 15 mins cross trainer, 5 mins free weight lifting (assorted exercises for arms)
Day 4: rest
Day 5: 15-25 mins aerobics dvd, 15 mins on cross trainer
Day 6: rest (well, working a 12 hour shift!)
Day 7: 15-20 mins aerobics DVD or 15 mins pilates

I'm guessing I'm doing too much aerobics really? This is the most frequent I have ever exercised (as in intentionally exercised and not just been active) so I am keeping the sessions short enough that I don't wear myself out and want to give it up for a day or two because that'd turn into a week or month or two! I'm also recovering from a broken leg, so can't do high impact stuff yet.

Any thoughts on my regime and suggestions on how to include more weight resistance stuff, if that's what's needed?

Many thanks!

Replies

• Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Work on building strength and muscle now, not later. Muscle burns more calories than fat so the sooner you build it, the faster your matabolism will ramp and give you the results you are after.
  • naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Work on building strength and muscle now, not later. Muscle burns more calories than fat so the sooner you build it, the faster your matabolism will ramp and give you the results you are after.

Excellent thank you. Now, any help as to HOW to do that?

:happy:
  • PattyCake123
    PattyCake123 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi! While I don't feel very qualified to analyze your workout, I was going to suggest reading "The Abs Diet" or "The Abs Diet for Women". I'm currently reading the latter and am loving it. And just to clear it up, It is not a fad diet, it's a lifestyle change. It has fantastic research-based explanations on how the body works and what it needs in order to build muscle properly and keep fat off along with easy to use nutrition advice and workout regimens. If you have time, I think it's worth reading :) it sounds like it would hit the things you want to know about.
  • naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks pattycake I'll look into it. Anyone else? :embarassed:
  • shalamoo
    shalamoo Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi...

Pattycake i'd agree..

I have the Abs diet book and it makes for very interesting reading.. all about "clean" eating (bit like GL diet).. i bought it from The Works for £1.99 so not expensive.

anyway the exercisey bit says that its best to do interval training for fat burning.. basics - warmup 5 mins, then do moderate/high intensity exercise for 1 minute, low intensity for 1 minute and repeat for 6-8 times, then cool down for 5 mins.. you can use it on any exercise that you are doing i think.

Strength/muscle building exercises are done like circuit training, for example

Ab crunches, knee raise, obliques, plank, squats, pull down, wall squat (OUCH!), biceps curl, leg curls... all in one session.

If you need any more info let me know! :O)