How do youotivated ?

sassybren1
sassybren1 Posts: 6 Member
edited September 28 in Motivation and Support
I was wondering ,,, how do you get any motivation when your body already hurts? I have arthritis and I also have Plantar Fasciitis.

My feet and joints hurt soooo bad. I am also a Server in a family restaurant , where I work 5 days a week. I am also a property Manager of a 30 unit complex. I come home from work and I can't even think about going on a walk or any form a exercise.

Does anyone have any ideas how to over come all this? I have been to Dr's and they say I need to find a different job. I've had test done and there isn't really much they can do they said.

Thanks!

sassybren1

Replies

• jessdeweerdt
    jessdeweerdt Posts: 128
    well, as a server you are probably walking plenty. Maybe you could find motivation in something like yoga or pilates, it's great for toning and can also be quite calming (they suggested it for my husband who has a degenerative back disease and is in pain 24/7)
  • christinathompson1
    christinathompson1 Posts: 144 Member
    i agree! as a server you probably walk a lot during the day.. i can't image hurting all the time :( so i feel for you!
    i recommend water exercise! your muscles can be relaxed, but you are also burning LOTS of calories. :)
  • magpie8402
    magpie8402 Posts: 121 Member
    Do you have access to a pool? My mom has a hard time moving around, but she can do some exercise in the pool and it's very low impact.
  • SandersWifey
    SandersWifey Posts: 387
    I don't know much to tell you about the arthritis and stuff, but the way I stay motivated is to do my exercise first thing in the morning.
    If I wait till later I will come up w all kinds of excuses not to do it.
    So if I just go ahead and make myself do it first thing then it is over with and out of the way. Also if I actually feel like doing more exercise later that day or in the evening, than thats a bonus workout!
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    When I worked I did my exercise first thing in the morning, you don't have to walk, there are a lot of great DVD's out there. You probably need a good pair of supportive shoes since you are on your feet so much, Plantar Fascitis is hard to heal if you are on your feet that much.

Be sure you are doing stretching exercises for your feet before getting out of bed in the morning. I wish you all the luck
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    It's tough to stay motivated when you have all that going on!! I have arthritis in my feet, knees, back and neck (not much left after that!). I'm currently on disability due to my degenerative discs in my spine and decided two months ago that the only way to stay on top of it was to keep plowing through. I have a dog that has to be walked so that makes a big difference for me. I can't just NOT go out because of him. Some days, I have to walk slow but most times now I am able to walk at a good pace since I've been working on this for the last two months.

When I had plantar issues a few years ago, I ended up having to use a cane so I know what that pain is all about as well! There are stretches that you should do for your feet to help with the tightening of the tendons. Basically, as often as you can, stretch your toes up so that you can loosen the tendon. That made a big difference for me. Eventually it stopped hurting, and I've been okay for some time now. Good walking shoes are a must!

It does sound like you are getting quite a bit of exercise with your work. Maybe you could try a pedometer to see how much you actually walk.
  • sassybren1
    sassybren1 Posts: 6 Member
    thank you everyone for your advice. I haven't been here to much, and now I see what happens when you aren't. I am gaining all the weight I have lost. I've been so stressed, and depressed that I eat everything I can. Even knowing that I am not hungry.

I need help so bad! I don't have any friends to go and walk with and to join a group,,, I am a shy person to go out and do that. I am so unhappy and don't do things because of my weight. I see weight watchers on tv, I thought about joining, but I am so a very poor eater. I was never raised to eat anything healthy. Just meat, breads, potatoes, junk food, candy etc. No healthy stuff. How am I going to loose weight? I don't have money to join places, and buy all the healthy food. so how do people in my place, loose weight.

I need help and support.

Thank You !
This discussion has been closed.