Sandwch help

Options
Ok long story short I am an Over the road truck driver and live out of a tiny fridge that I keep in my truck. I usually eat 2 sandwiches a day and can tell I am putting on weight.

Does anyone have any good healthy bread suggestions and ideas for healthy sandwiches that do not have to be heated up? I am growing tired of PB&J and turkey.

Plus I would love any suggestions of diffrent foods I could take with me so change things up and help me lose the 40 pounds I want to lose by my next bday

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Apparently there is this bread made by sara lea which is 45 cals a slice.I live in Canada and I haven't seen it here,but I have seen people talk about it on mfp.
    Other then that I'd say whole grain breads,and maybe rye if your feeling creative.
    Some other suggestions are tuna,egg salad and chicken salad. As well as another low cal sandwich meat is ham (but watch the sodium in processed meats).
    Other lunch suggestions are boiled eggs,salads,protein shakes.
    Some good snacks are cut up raw veggies,cherry tomato's,blueberries,raspberries and yogurt.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Apparently there is this bread made by sara lea which is 45 cals a slice.I live in Canada and I haven't seen it here,but I have seen people talk about it on mfp.
    Other then that I'd say whole grain breads,and maybe rye if your feeling creative.
    Some other suggestions are tuna,egg salad and chicken salad. As well as another low cal sandwich meat is ham (but watch the sodium in processed meats).
    Other lunch suggestions are boiled eggs,salads,protein shakes.
    Some good snacks are cut up raw veggies,cherry tomato's,blueberries,raspberries and yogurt.

it's Sara Lee Delightful bread or something like that... I eat it all the time, and I love it.
  • allybtucker
    Options
    Nature's Own has several breads 50 cals per slice, a whole wheat, and a sugar free. The whole wheat is a good value, same price as other flavors, but a bigger loaf.
  • Wonderfilledwoman
    Options
    Arnold's Deli Thins...means I can eat bread again!!! 100 calories for one roll...multi-grain, whole wheat, flax, etc. So, how do you feel about tuna? BLT but we always add cheese? Takes planning, but it's worth it in the end when the scale smiles back at you! Good luck!
  • missballast
    Options
    Maybe try some wraps - low carb filled with veggies.
    Yogurt - the greek yogurts from Fage are high in protein and taste pretty good.
    Trail mix - though watch this because some are filled with sugar but a variety of nuts equal good fats and protein.
    Fruit salad, sliced apples.
    Hummus w/healthy crackers, carrots, celery, cucumber.
    Low-fat (air-popped) popcorn.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Another thing I do instead of bread (low cal or otherwise), is tortillas and make wraps! It's less than the 2 slices of bread needed to make sandwich and can be easier to manage on the road. I've also made sandwiches with turkey bacon, cheese and lettuce. The turkey bacon can be made in advance either in a microwave or stove and I think it tastes pretty good cold!
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    Sara Lee Delightful 100% whole grain, I love it. Turkey, chicken lunch meats are good choices and some low or no fat cheese and mustard. Slices of onions, bell pepper also add flavor and help get the veggies in. Of course lettuce, and tomatoes.
  • Crazyoddball
    Crazyoddball Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    wonder bread has a light whole wheat loaf that is 40cals a slice. i love it! you can try that its the lowest in cals that i have found.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Try Ezekiel sprouted grain bread.. its organic and very healthy.. try the seame one.. love it...
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Try Ezekiel sprouted grain bread.. its organic and very healthy.. try the seame one.. love it...

THIS. Ezekiel 3;9 bred. I like the wraps and honestly you can put anything in a wrap. Roasted veg, chicken breast or any lean meat. hard boiled eggs, hummus, ....the possibilities are endless.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the Earthgrains Whole Wheat Sandwich Thins for 100 calories. I have also used the Sara Lee 45 Calories and Delightful, and just tried the Sara Lee 80 Calories and Delightful hamburger buns.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    low carb wraps!
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Sunbeam light white bread is 80 calories for 2 slices ( I think). I also like the Ole high fiber low carb wraps. They are so versatile!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Not sure how worried you are about it, but all of the Sara Lee Delightful products have High Fructose Corn Syrup in them. And some of the sandwich flats do as well. If you look for the "Naturals" versions of those you can avoid that kind of stuff in the ingredients. Wonder also makes some new kinds now called Wonder Smart White and Wonder Smart Wheat that don't have HFCS either and are about 40 calories per slice.

And watch the sodium level on both breads and especially with tortillas/wraps, often they're higher than bread. Sodium in lunch meat is also super high.

My favorite options for sandwich fillings are lots of veggies (tomato, spinach, bell peppers, cucumber, etc), sauteed sliced tofu or chicken breast for protein and stuff like hummus or whipped Philly cream cheese in place of mayo or butter. But often I skip anything on the bread at all.

The bread I use is from a place called Chompie's in Arizona. I'm in CA so I know that they ship it around places, but I'm not sure how far and wide it goes. It's Chompie's Carbs Not Whole Grain bread that's only 56 cal, 3g of carbs and around 7g of protein per slice. But I also like the Orowheat HealthFulls NuttyGrain bread. It's around 80 calories per slice but I don't remember the rest of the stats offhand.