Carb/Fat/Protein ratios?

Rage_Phish
Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
I feel like I have really over thunk this and been reading to many differing opinions on this. What do you recommend the Carb/Fat/Protein ratio be set at for a 27 year old, 230lbs male?

Thanks!

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    I have mine set to 45 carbs 30 protein 25 fat and this seems to be working out great for me. I tried lowering my carbs to 40 but I was consistently going over. I stay under with it set to 45. I don't worry about it because my carbs are complex they come from fruits and whole grains or sweet potatoes vs regular potatoes. That's the most important thing.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    I'm a male 6' 2" 208 down from 230 January 1st.

My ratio is
    40% protein (I train a lot)
    30% carb
    30% fat

I'm relatively happy with that. But my formula works out like so.
    1.5g protein/lb
    .5g fat per lb
    Remaining calories are carbs.
    Which ironically works out to be the above give or take a % or two.
  • demoharry
    demoharry Posts: 6
    Its all up to you, your goals and how your body reacts to certain foods. If you want to lose maximum FAT in a short amount of time (about 12 weeks) I suggest you do either 1) 50% high carb, 40% high protein, 10% low fat 2) or 10% low carb, 50% high protein, 40% high fat.

Make sure the protein you eat is lower than your weight or quill too it -otherwise the left over protein will go to waste.

If you decide to do a low carb meal plan, be prepared for your body to change a lot in the first week because it will need to adapt and learn how to use energy from fats not carbs (we get most of our energy from carbs).

As for me, I am going a high carb, high protein and low fat plan :) It was hard to figure out different combination's of foods that fit within the different gram and calorie limits but i worked it out eventually.

Good luck! Make sure you exercise at least 3 times a week!!

Ps. My fitness level is high (2 hours every day of intense circuit weight training and cadio)
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    This might be of interest from a study at Johns Hopkins.

The focus of the research was the impact of fat on the cardiovascular system but there was an interesting observation:

"In the first study, scheduled to be presented June 3 at the annual meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine in Denver, the Johns Hopkins team studied 23 men and women, weighing on average 218 pounds and participating in a six-month weight-loss program that consisted of moderate aerobic exercise and lifting weights, plus a diet made up of no more than 30 percent of calories from carbs, such as pastas, breads and sugary fruits. As much as 40 percent of their diet was made up of fats coming from meat, dairy products and nuts.

"Low-carb dieters showed no harmful vascular changes, but also on average dropped 10 pounds in 45 days, compared to an equal number of study participants randomly assigned to a low-fat diet. The low-fat group, whose diets consisted of no more than 30 percent from fat and 55 percent from carbs, took on average nearly a month longer, or 70 days, to lose the same amount of weight."

The full article is here:

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/low_carb_higher_fat_diets_add_no_arterial_health_risks_to_obese_people_seeking_to_lose_weight
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    I have mine set to 45 carbs 30 protein 25 fat and this seems to be working out great for me.
    I JUST set mine to those levels too-we'll see what type of results I get. I lost about 2lbs a month on the MFP settings -noticeable inches but not much weight.
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    10%carb/30%protein/60%fat- go big or go home! Ha
This discussion has been closed.