need suggestions for some good exercise :)

Options
Hey guys! I am on a very low impact kind of regemin (sp?) until my ankle has been cleared by the doctor. I've been walking alot but that's just not getting in enough burn for me. any suggestions??

Replies

• katy4193
    katy4193 Posts: 44
    Options
    Can you do a recumbent bike? Might be good for your ankle?
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Due to 3 brain surgeries, I was partially paralyzed and swimming is the best excercise and burns alot of calories real quick.
  • LeeLeeTunk
    LeeLeeTunk Posts: 84
    Options
    I do Denise Austin Yoga exercises. alot of floor work. lots of stretching! :)
  • Melinda1987
    Melinda1987 Posts: 130
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest (325) my knees were in even worse shape than they are now. I couldn't do most exercises, so my doctor recommended that I do the aerobics video's that I owned while sitting in a kitchen chair. She said that even if I did the leg & arm movements to the best of my ability in that chair that I'd still get aerobic benefit. I tried it and it worked! You have to modify some things of course, but I would've had to do that even if I stood up. Good luck!
  • AshSmialek
    AshSmialek Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the "walk away the lbs" videos? They are low impact but I think more exciting then walking outside.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    How about a rowing machine? I'm not sure if it's low impact enough for the ankles, but it's certainly a lot softer than running.
    Also, swimming maybe?
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I was on crutches last week because of an injury to my knee and am still limping and in pain so haven't been able to do my normal workouts. Instead I've been doing the punching bag or you can do shadow boxing if you don't have a bag, also dumb bells at home and upper body workouts at the gym. Hang in there and hope you feel better soon. It's a bummer not to be able to get out there and workout, huh?:grumble:
  • nanc94
    nanc94 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    how about biking if you go to the gym... spinning classes are great for a good burn...but sometimes you have to stand and increase intensity so i dont know if that will bother your ankle or if you can go in the spinning room when not in use its still a good burn and you can go at your own pace
  • jsmith218
    jsmith218 Posts: 2
    Options
    Water aerobics are very low impact and high calorie burning.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Push ups of any form. Situps of any form. Squats or lunges. If you do them long enoug and with little enough rest in between...you'll be absolutely shocked at your results. Do 5 reps for 5 sets until it becomes to easy...and remember, the less of a break you

I do no other exercises than body weight strength training. I've gotten VERY creative with the exercises, using tables to give me more weight on my arms for pushups (like benching 180lbs 5 reps x 5 sets), as well as varying which arm supports the majority of my weight. I do my exercises VERY slowly to increase the burn time....it will take me 3 seconds to do one half of a rep, and 3 seconds for the other half. This increases the burn dramatically, particularly if you clench your worked muscles purposefully the entire rep.

I'm by no means 'ripped' or 'huge' yet...but in about two months of this (with a healthy diet), I've lost 20lbs+, and have toned up considerably.

Here's a few pictures, before, 30, and roughly 50 or so days (early this week):

7434194_19.jpg7434194_4560.jpg7434194_7213.jpg

My waist has lost about an inch and a half, and my overall bodyfat has dropped considerably. For people not wanting to gain tons of mass, but wanting considerable muscle gain nonetheless...bodyweight stuff is certainly the way to go =D.

Cris
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Pilates.
  • debdptg
    debdptg Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love my walking - but I found that I was getting a little bored. So, I got my ipod full of audio books. When the 'itimate' scenes start my walking picks up and before I know it I am 2 miles from home with my heart beating good! Hee hee.

When I don't walk, I am using the staionary bike - it is easy on my knews and would be fine on your ankle. But I actually get a better burn from the walking than the bike cuz I stay at it longer.