Excercise calories earned

Options
So I commuted to work & it says I've earned another 1200 calories on top of my 2100. I will be short of the recommended amount by about 800 calories.

I thought I read somewhere that you should try to eat the recommended calories. So is it a good thing or a bad thing to be so far under the suggested calories?

Replies

• ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    So I commuted to work & it says I've earned another 1200 calories on top of my 2100. I will be short of the recommended amount by about 800 calories.

I thought I read somewhere that you should try to eat the recommended calories. So is it a good thing or a bad thing to be so far under the suggested calories?
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    There are several posts on eating your exercise calories.

Here is the master of all posts:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Banks is smart, listen to him.
    Try and eat them if you can, but listen to your body and know when you're full. I would definitely not go that far under too many days though - it is really hard on your body and will hinder your weight loss.

Also, if you find you're under a lot, check your goals. If you have it only at losing a half lb or one lb a week maybe you're ready to do more?

Keep working!! :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • metalpalace
    Options
    If you fall short of the recommended calories for weight loss, especially by 800 calories, that is a very bad thing. Your body will metabolize your own muscle tissue to extract protein for energy. This will lower your bodies ability to burn calories at rest which makes it next to impossible to manage weight. Less muscle will also mean you will look like a smaller, more flabby person of your former self because you have less muscle to enhance your natural shape. Be careful here, make sure you eat enough even if you are trying to loose weight.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to eat as many as your exercise calories as you can. You got in 1300 calories still though, which is good but just be careful next time.

Have you tried planning your day out ahead of time, meals and exercise, so you know ahead of time what you'll be eating, how much you'll be exercising, etc. ?? That way, you won't get caught at the the end of the day with either too many or not enough calories.