low carb diet % ratios

Options
I just started a low carb diet in hopes to lose the last few lbs.I also switched from doing mainly cardio 6x a week to, cardio 3x a week and strength training 3x a week. I have read a bit about these low carb diets but it is just hard for get used to the idea that high fat foods are actually going to benefit when eating low carb. I have stayed away from pork and cheese for so long now and used to eat tons of fruits, so the adjustment is going to take soem getting used. But all that said, I am wondering what % i should have my protein and fat at. My carbs are at 10% keeping me around 38g a day. I am 5'5" and 121lbs.

Replies

• louisvillelady
    louisvillelady Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My experience with low carb dieting is not good . You may lose the last few pounds but you WILL gain it back plus some when you go off of it .
  • karlafales
    karlafales Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    consider the slow carb method...much healthier
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

I don't know what the slow carb method is...unless she means low GI carbs...which is a good call.

As for gaining back your 'low carb loss' pounds...it's entirely possible, depending on how you define 'low carbs' and what you consider 'normal carbs'.

Generally, to burn your last few pounds, you want to be below 100g a day in carbs, from what I've read. When you go back to 'normal'...the idea is to stay below 200g a day (closer to 150g is better). Bodyweight and composition are going to affect these numbers of course...but you get the idea. I try to eat .8g-1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. This week I am trying to keep my carbs below 75g, and closer to 50g if I can...and I let my fats fall somewhere in between. This is a TEMPORARY arrangement, just to jump start my body back into burning fat (I'd stopped losing weight almost completely...no gains, but no losses). Depending on what the scale says Monday, I may go another week of this type of eating. I am confident that that will make a large difference...and I can go back to 100-125g of carbs a day if I want to...until I've lost all I want to lose. Then it's maintenance at an average of 150g give or take, per day.

Now...if you're going from 250g+ a day, down to 50g to lose, then back up to 250g a day...you bet you're going to gain it all back.

Hope that helps!

Cris
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've been doing- 10%carbs/30%protein/60%fat.
  • jessicazanebell
    jessicazanebell Posts: 67 Member
    Options

I don't know what the slow carb method is...unless she means low GI carbs...which is a good call.

As for gaining back your 'low carb loss' pounds...it's entirely possible, depending on how you define 'low carbs' and what you consider 'normal carbs'.

Generally, to burn your last few pounds, you want to be below 100g a day in carbs, from what I've read. When you go back to 'normal'...the idea is to stay below 200g a day (closer to 150g is better). Bodyweight and composition are going to affect these numbers of course...but you get the idea. I try to eat .8g-1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. This week I am trying to keep my carbs below 75g, and closer to 50g if I can...and I let my fats fall somewhere in between. This is a TEMPORARY arrangement, just to jump start my body back into burning fat (I'd stopped losing weight almost completely...no gains, but no losses). Depending on what the scale says Monday, I may go another week of this type of eating. I am confident that that will make a large difference...and I can go back to 100-125g of carbs a day if I want to...until I've lost all I want to lose. Then it's maintenance at an average of 150g give or take, per day.

Now...if you're going from 250g+ a day, down to 50g to lose, then back up to 250g a day...you bet you're going to gain it all back.

Hope that helps!

Cris

thx for the insight, very helpful!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    If you were following the Atkins diet, you would be in what he calls the "Ongoing Weight Loss" phase 2. During that stage most people eat between 40 and 60 grams of carbs daily. (Women on the lower end of the range, men on the higher end).