Easy/ Quick food that's not all processed crap?

MeganSWoods
MeganSWoods Posts: 196 Member
edited September 28 in Food and Nutrition
I'll be the first to admit-- I like easy, quick, grab-it-and-go food. Problem is, most of the stuff I've been eating lately is "good for me" based on the calories, fat, fiber, and protein (which are generally the 4 things I look at when picking something), BUT it has a ton of sodium and unpronounceable chemicals as well. So basically, I'm looking for suggestions of things that are easy, quick, AND not *as* processed. Thanks!

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    My go-to packed lunch for work is basically a bunch of snacks. I pack a handful of raw snow peas, a couple cherry tomatoes, a serving of crackers, a stick of string cheese, a few almonds, etc.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Well how quick do you need it?

Something like a chicken breast is quick to prepare and then you throw it in the oven for about 40 minutes, while you do something else (like work out or surf MFP). Or you can prep a whole bunch on the weekend and just heat them up as needed, or add them to salads and such.

A sweet potato can be cooked in a few minutes in the microwave.

You can throw together a tuna or turkey sandwich pretty quickly. (Just be extremely selective choosing deli meats like turkey. Seems the vast majority of them are full of sodium and nitrates).

A quality meal replacement shake is another option.

Instant oatmeal.

Salmon burger or turkey burger.
  • blazef16
    blazef16 Posts: 3
    I like to bring with an apple and organic string cheese, or walnuts (i measure them out and put them in a snack baggie so I don't eat too many), also organic cottage cheese, or all natural turkey jerky. I try to have things with more protein and it keeps me from getting the munchies later on.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    healthy choice, amy's products arent that 'processed'
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Unfortunately- those two statements dont actually go well together- if it is quick and cheap and easy probably processed. good natural, healthy usually takes longer- unless you just go with the raw fruits and veggies.

I usually try to make up a nice vegetable soup with beef stock instead of meat and make about a million gallons and a time and freeze it in small quantities for fast lunches-- grab it and it is defrosting by lunch a little microwave and voila- lunch-- grab some cut up veggies- and a slice of home made bread ( that I make once a week ) and lunch is done. i also buy frozen fruit-- put some in a take along container and by lunch it is defrosted.

good luck
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    I keep baked skinless chicken breasts in the fridge at all times. I can slice it for a sandwich, cube it and toss in a salad, cube it and grab some frozen stir fry vegies over rice, slice it thick and dip it in bbq sauce... all easy and quick, and easy to pack as a lunch.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    I keep baked skinless chicken breasts in the fridge at all times. I can slice it for a sandwich, cube it and toss in a salad, cube it and grab some frozen stir fry vegies over rice, slice it thick and dip it in bbq sauce... all easy and quick, and easy to pack as a lunch.

This is one of my go-to's, as well. It takes as long to bake one chicken breast as it does to bake six (or two whole chickens, versus one). They can be used a thousand different ways, including sliced on salads or diced and added to soup.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    i have the same problem..meal wise, not too sure, but for snacks, i usually eat natural almonds..high(er) in cals, but has no sodium...i also have a recipe for no sodium pizza dough..very good i must add..just the toppings add some stuff..let me know if you want it..best of luck*****oh, do what i do..go to a library and get low/no sodium cookbooks**
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    You can make your own protein bars (make a batch big enough for the week). Make your own trail mix. Cut up veggies and put in single-serving containers so they are quick to grab-and-go. You can do the same with fruit, or just grab an apple or banana - easy! Also, make your own trail mix with whatever you love to munch on. The trick is always measuring out single servings (with the granola and protein bars anyway) so you aren't over-doing it. Also, my husband grills up a bunch of chicken for me on Sundays and I make my own chicken strips. With the chicken, do the same thing - 3 oz. single serving baggies, often with some cheese thrown in. I grab one of those every couple hours for a shot of protein. Also, my go-to breakfast is chobani with grape nuts. If you were taking that to work, you could pre-measure the grape nuts (or granola) and have that in a single-serving baggie to mix in when you get to work.
  • I'm trying to steer myself away from mac and cheese, that is my fave thing. I can have box to myself honestly, sad.

to snack on I bring some fruit.... and vegies usually.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    bump
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Go ideas here. Also hard boiled eggs, Lara bars, hummus and veg sticks, cottage cheese and yogurt.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    I love a pasta with sauteed veggies (broccoli, peppers, tomatoes) with red pepper tossed. Spritz lemon, olive oil, and salt on top. :) 15 minutes!
  • shesnotthere
    shesnotthere Posts: 117
    It's all about being prepared. Apple sliced up with 2 TBSP of good (no sugar added) peanut butter or almond butter, string cheese, nuts, like someone said having cooked chicken ready to go is a lifesaver, carrots and humus, and for breakfast an egg with some canadian bacon takes about 3 minutes - clean up is another 2 mins.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Unfortunately- those two statements dont actually go well together- if it is quick and cheap and easy probably processed. good natural, healthy usually takes longer- unless you just go with the raw fruits and veggies.

good luck

Not necessarily. I eat pretty clean. I spend about an hour on Sunday prepping for the week. It means every meal i make takes less than 15 mins to prepare. I actually spend less because I make most things from scratch, Check out the link in my signature and see what 2 guys bought for $20.
  • milaxx
    healthy choice, amy's products arent that 'processed'

Last I looked both Amy's and Healthy Choice had quite a bit of sodium.
  • milaxx
    dupe
  • ktbug82
    ktbug82 Posts: 166
    Bump
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    bananna or special k bars... not very filling tho.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    protein shakes are a staple for me when I'm not at home to cook. I make a double scoop one with 16oz of almond milk. Comes out right around 300 calories and keeps me full for a little while. Add in veggies to snack on and some almonds and you're set
This discussion has been closed.