Did you know...

Options
ShifuYaku
ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
That jello is made from bones? :3 I thought I would just share that tidbit with you, as I was earlier enjoying my liquified bones. :D LOL

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    yes and no. It's actually the connective tissue, skins and the bones of different mammals that go into the making of the gelatin itself that's used in hundreds, maybe thousands of products, not just the brand name Jello-O. The roast all of the parts then treat it with various acids to extract the collagen and then it's boiled and the gelatin is extracted from the boiling liquid. It's also what goes into marshmallows, taffy, fondant, gelcap capsules and more.

That's why vegatarians and vegans can't eat anything with gelatin in it and there are specially made versions of these products to be vegetarian or vegan.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    yes and no. It's actually the connective tissue, skins and the bones of different mammals that go into the making of the gelatin itself that's used in hundreds, maybe thousands of products, not just the brand name Jello-O. The roast all of the parts then treat it with various acids to extract the collagen and then it's boiled and the gelatin is extracted from the boiling liquid. It's also what goes into marshmallows, taffy, fondant, gelcap capsules and more.

That's why vegatarians and vegans can't eat anything with gelatin in it and there are specially made versions of these products to be vegetarian or vegan.

Which makes me want to enjoy my liquified bones a whole lot more xD
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    yep. And did you know that here in France, jell-o doesn't exist? every time I ask people about it, they look at me with this disgusting look and say "that english thing that you put into cakes?" LOL I come from Argentina, and we eat it just like in the US.

I still keep an eye for it in supermarkets with english and hispanic sections, but no luck yet. This week, I'll try the american market close to home. Keep your fingers crossed!