Anorexic? ME? How bizarre!!

Options
I hate it when people ask if you are becoming anorexic. For instance, I have some close family members who asked me this today. They said they were worried about me because my 1st goal was to get to 135 & now I am 129. They say that they think I am developing a problem and I can't stop myself from losing. WTC!! My 2nd (main) goal was to get down to 130. So, I surpassed my goal by 1 pound and they assume I'm anorexic. How CRAZY is that? I run, I workout, & now that I am @ my ideal weight, I EAT what I want, when I want it. I just DON'T eat too much of it. I am FAR from being anorexic. When I was trying to lose, I did it the healthy way. I ate anywhere between 1300 & 1800 calories a day, depending on how active I was. And now, I eat anywhere between 1800 and 2200 calories a day. So, NO, I AM NOT BECOMING ANOREXIC! I've chosen to live a healthier lifestyle. Be proud of me. They see me run, they see me walk, & they see me eat. What they don't understand, is as active as I've become, my metabolism has increased tremendously. Which is a good thing. They should acknowledge how much hard work & dedication I've put in to become the individual that I am today. I think they should be proud & happy for me. I know I AM & I'm NOT going to change for anybody!!!

Sorry for the RANT but I just had to get that off of my chest.

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    totally agree... some people can be kinda harsh, and they just don't understand that you can be healthy at the weight you are at! Maybe they don't think you can do it because it is something they could never achieve. As long as you're doing it the healthy way, I don't understand how people can call you annorexic. Annorexic people don't eat! You're eating around 2000 calories a day! they are crazy!!
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Im really sorry... a lot of people dont understand successful weight loss, or what anorexia actually is. Lots of time people get suspicious over success, dont let that slow you down! Just the fact hat you are aware that what they are saying is crazy proves that youre perfectly fine!
  • hopeC12
    hopeC12 Posts: 38
    Options
    Yeah I got that a lot too when the weight started to drop. So much "concern" for my health. People at work even started a joking rumor that I was taking weird drugs. But that is just jealousy you know, because now they have all changed to begging me for my secret :)
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    I am the same height as you...I got down to 128 (and have now put back on 10 lbs :sad: ) and was told by more than one person that I looked "anorexic," which was very alarming to me, because, like you, I did it in a healthy way! I have purposely put back on some weight to stop all of the assumptions, but am not happy. I lost the weight by eating around 1500 cals and exercising...that simple, no starvation and no unhealthy actions. So, you have my sympathies...when you are tall, it is a lot more obvious when you lose weight. Now, to be honest, I do have disordered thoughts, but I fight very, very hard to not allow them to take hold of me physically. I know the consequences of eating poorly and treating your body poorly. People also get really threatened when others start to lose weight and do positive things for themselves...I am sorry that you have to experience that :flowerforyou:
  • LDL15
    LDL15 Posts: 12
    Options
    Congratulations on exceeding your goals!! You should be very proud.

Pleasee don't listen to the negative comments!! My family said the same to me when I lost weight...anoxeric, cancer patient, droopy drawers, death, etc. I was nursing so I was eating right and exercising and not starving myself. Anyway, I listened to them and stopped working out and eating right. Guess what?? I gained 20lbs!! Now the comments are about the weight gain. It's a lose-lose situation. You have to do what's right for you.
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I have purposely put back on some weight to stop all of the assumptions, but am not happy. I lost the weight by eating around 1500 cals and exercising...that simple, no starvation and no unhealthy actions. So, you have my sympathies...when you are tall, it is a lot more obvious when you lose weight. Now, to be honest, I do have disordered thoughts, but I fight very, very hard to not allow them to take hold of me physically. I know the consequences of eating poorly and treating your body poorly. People also get really threatened when others start to lose weight and do positive things for themselves...I am sorry that you have to experience that :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

See, that's what I'm talking about. I'm NOT going to gain weight to make others feel better about themselves. If they want to do something about their weight, let them. If they want to eat the way they do and gain, let them. I lost weight for ME. No one else but me. I got to where I couldn't wear any of my clothes. I didn't want to start buying new sizes because I knew that if I started doing that, I'd just get use to buying bigger and bigger sizes and before I knew it, I'd be wearing a 16 or 18. I got to the point where I was ashamed to make love to my husband beause of my weight gain. I didn't want him seeing me that big when he was use to seeing me so much smaller. LIke he even cared how big I was getting. He's a sweetheart and never mentioned anything about my weightgain. He loves me unconditional and told me that plenty of times. But still, I wanted to make a change. So, I started dieting. I can wear my old clothes now. Some are too big and I've bought smaller but I wear size 6-8. Which in my book, last time I checked, was far from anorexic.

I think they have gotten use to seeing me @ almost 160, so to them, I may look sickly. I am almost 30 pounds lighter ya know. But, I still don't think that gives them the right to say such harsh things to me...even if they did say it in a kind way. It still hurt. :/
  • amarie35
    Options
    Congratulations on exceeding your goals!! You should be very proud.

Pleasee don't listen to the negative comments!! My family said the same to me when I lost weight...anoxeric, cancer patient, droopy drawers, death, etc. I was nursing so I was eating right and exercising and not starving myself. Anyway, I listened to them and stopped working out and eating right. Guess what?? I gained 20lbs!! Now the comments are about the weight gain. It's a lose-lose situation. You have to do what's right for you.

Thank you very much. I am VERY proud!! :happy:

I think you're right. It's a lose-lose situation. Someone is always gonna find something wrong w/ you. YOu just got to be happy for yourself and do what's right for you. And that's what I'm going to continue to do! :)
  • matwood74
    matwood74 Posts: 111
    Options
    Someone will always have something to say!!! Just keep on keeping on!!! You're doing great!!! :smile:

My dad told me last week that he's worried that I'm becoming "obsessive" with this weight loss thing.....
    I haven't lost THAT much, geesh!! When I lose another 30 pounds, THEN he can say something!!! :wink:

Have a great weekend!!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    HEARD THAT!

got the same problem. good for you for standing up for yourself... and saying "I'm being healthier..Be proud of me!"
  • tsmom1128
    tsmom1128 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    girl, you should be proud! don't let anyone take that away from you. You GO!!!
  • MattAxtell
    MattAxtell Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The criticism from people that are close to you is the worst.

A majority of my family is overweight.

I was training for a bodybuilding competition with my wife a few years ago and I lost 20 LBS and gained tons of muscle in less than 3 months.

My family kept commenting on how "I look sick" and "I look unhealthy". It was frustrating.

They were overweight themselves, and that made their criticism even worse.

People get used to looking at a slightly larger version of you, and when you lose weight, they are not used to it and think the worst.. I feel for you...
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I've got people in my family who are saying mean things to me and I've only lost 18 lbs (57 left to go), mostly comments about me spending time at the gym 6 days a week.

Don't let it get to you. You've busted your *kitten* (literally) to get where you are so just live it up and enjoy it :) Other folks will come around to seeing the new you :)

Be proud girl!
  • KarenLouise1981
    Options
    Congratulations on hitting your goal! Your stomach looks fantastic in your profile pic, i'm very jealous! I am also so sorry that comments from others have been so hurtful and have resulted in you putting weight back ON to satisfy them. I have recently just hit my goal and have found exactly the same problem. I am putting it down to their own insecurities in that everyone has a goal weight but by "accusing" us of becoming anorexic and getting to that goal by unrealistic measures its like an excuse for their own lack of motivation (because we're obviously not doing it the healthy way and they just won't do that!) Does that make sense??

Well done anyway, keep up that hard work an make them all feel guilty lol! x
  • amarie35
    Options
    Congratulations on hitting your goal! Your stomach looks fantastic in your profile pic, i'm very jealous! I am also so sorry that comments from others have been so hurtful and have resulted in you putting weight back ON to satisfy them. I have recently just hit my goal and have found exactly the same problem. I am putting it down to their own insecurities in that everyone has a goal weight but by "accusing" us of becoming anorexic and getting to that goal by unrealistic measures its like an excuse for their own lack of motivation (because we're obviously not doing it the healthy way and they just won't do that!) Does that make sense??

Well done anyway, keep up that hard work an make them all feel guilty lol! x

OH, I have NOT put the weight back on and I DON't plan on it. I was trying to quote what someone had commented and I was gonna comment on their quote but it didn't work right!

I am NOT going to gain the weight that I've worked my tail to get off! =)