burned 1000+ calories, do I eat them back?

barbiex3
barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
I kinda had a crazy active day, & I decided to work out 3 times because I had a crazy energy high... anyways! I ate back 2/3 of them putting me at eating around 2,350 calories intake today. I still have 325 left. Is this a good idea or bad idea? idk much about eatin work out calories back...

Replies

• I try and eat almost all of my 'exercise/burned' calories back....your body needs it!!
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    I have read a lot of theories and I have settled on eating 50% to 80% back since you can never REALLY know how many calories you've burned or eaten exactly.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    I have read a lot of theories and I have settled on eating 50% to 80% back since you can never REALLY know how many calories you've burned or eaten exactly.

Thats usually a safe call.

In addition, you also need to subtract the amount of calories you would have burned from doing normal daily activity. If you would have burned 150 calories sitting on your *kitten* watching TV, you need to subtract that from the amount you can eat back.

These are called maintenance calories, and MFP calculates them for you, as part of your daily calorie limit. Otherwise you end up "Double dipping" and eating more calories than you truly burned.
  • if you are sure that your calories in and burned are fairly accurate and if you have your mfp goal set to lose 1lb/wk then you can let your remaining calories get to as many as 500 (for a total deficit of 1000 for the day) you will be fine even if you let it go more than that every once in a while (like once a month or less) just try to get close if you can so you can feed your body enough nutrients to "heal" your tired muscles
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Hi there,

I'm sort of up in the air in this one. I don't make it a point to eat my calories back, I think of them as a bonus or a buffer. I set my caloric goal at 1600, and stay between 1600 to 1700.

I'll eat back 30-40, maybe even up to 100 of my exercise calories, but never the whole amount. That's part of dieting, burning calories. I'm lifting weights at the sametime, and want to develop muscles while losing fat.

I also have a very hight protein diet, and reletivly low carbo diet.

Like everything else, you have to find out what's right fr your body. Experment1

Good luck with your goals.
This discussion has been closed.