Can sit-ups and ab workouts make tummy stick out more?

Options
Can an intense ab routine make your stomach appear to stick out more? I have noticed that my stomach sticks out further, and I cant even 'suck it in' like I use to be able to 3 weeks ago. I am not sure what to think about it. I haven't gained an ounce..just look fatter! I understand that it could be from sodium, have never had a problem like this before.

Any thoughts?

thank you for your input.

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    maybe your PMSing?
  • yiffanarff
    yiffanarff Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Are you doing much cardio? I've heard that this can happen if you are building up the abdominal muscles without burning the Ab flab that sits on top of them. Until you burn some of that off, your abdominal area may look bigger.
  • shurtado14
    Options
    And in Pilates I learned that it's important when doing certain exercises to hold your tummy muscles tight. That way the muscles firm up tightly and don't bulk up and poke outward. That may be your problem.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    how is your posture? have you been working on your back muscles as well? Your back muscles effect your abs, so they need to be just as strong and worked on. You should do a full body work out routine.

how many meals are you eating and how large are they? I believe in teh 5-6 meals per day, smaller but more effiicient, I bleive it will keep the stomach smaller or shrink it.

just my 2Cents worth :)
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    I asked the same question to my buddy, a certified personal trainer and Pro bodybuilder, and the short answer is Yes. Whenever you work a muscle regularly you run the risk of making it stronger and larger. There may be other variables to it, but that's what I was told by an expert.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I asked the same question to my buddy, a certified personal trainer and Pro bodybuilder, and the short answer is Yes. Whenever you work a muscle regularly you run the risk of making it stronger and larger. There may be other variables to it, but that's what I was told by an expert.

I honestly don't think this is what has happened in her case- especially after 3 weeks. Just my 2 cents.
  • johnsonjk
    johnsonjk Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I assume it is you and your baby in the photo. The answer is yes you can aggreviate a problem post-pregnancy if you already have it by doing stomach exercies. If you have a condition called diastasis (essentially the abdominal muscles have separated near your belly button), then traditional stomach exercises can make it worse. There is a book called "Lose your Mummy Tummy" by Julie Tupler which will help you find exercises that can help you if you have that condition.

Best of luck.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    i'd say yes - i have noticed for me, my waist area always gets a little thicker when i start doing regular intense ab workouts. i don't carry any weight really around my tummy to begin with, so it seems like when i start to build muscle there, it has no place to go but out! it's pretty annoying.