WAY TOO GUILTY FOR GOING OVER ON CALORIES??

Options
Does anyone else neurotic about going over on calories? I am on a 1200 calorie goal and if i even go over just 10 calories I feel guilty!! I shouldn't right? What is 10, 20 or even 50 calories gonna hurt? And I go over a little quite often, but that is because MFP tells me I am not eating enought when I am under and it is very hard to be right on!

Replies

• AmesLee78
    AmesLee78 Posts: 111
    Options
    My motto is if I can keep it under 100 calories over my limit then I'm not going to beat myself up. Maybe you need to adjust your settings to help you with that little bit you keep going over?
  • carl_garcia
    carl_garcia Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Dont let it stress you. Just stick with it and be consistent. youll find your happy medium and get into a good workout/eating pattern.
    :) hang in there.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I try to be with in 100 over/under, today I was 342 over...but that is ok, I was way under the other day.

it's all in your head, just eat healthy food, not fast food, it makes a huge difference.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Try and not stress about it. As long as you're eating well and not eating a bunch of junk - you're fine.

Also, if you're struggling to keep yourself under 1200 calories - maybe it is time to re-evaluate and move them up a little bit? I can't imagine only eating 1200 calories in a day.
  • onlinebs
    onlinebs Posts: 15
    Options
    I think the over/under warning is based on a percentage, so it's harder for women to get close to the goal without going over than it is for us guys. If you eat 1100 calories in one day, you are almost 10% under the goal - if I eat 100 calories less than my goal, it is just under 5% under. I think it is important to eat enough food, but I wouldn't stress such a small difference. You can always have a yogurt (around 100 calories) on hand for an extra desert if you want to make sure you get right to your goal.

Better yet, aim for 1200-1300 calories in food intake but go for a 15-30 minute walk in the evenings. Your eating will be on target because the exercise will subtract and put you back under - but that kind of under doesn't give you the warning.
  • ndriedger
    ndriedger Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well girl you gotta be doing something right to almost half way to your goal. Why mess with a good thing? I feel guilty too but i dont stress about it. Its just like being up 0.2 pounds from the day before. You know its just water but cant help but feel frustrated over it. Just remember how much better you feel and make sure you enjoy every bite and not just eating to eat.
  • RedL1988
    RedL1988 Posts: 55
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I think those red numbers with the - sign freak me out ! lol
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    Don't feel guilty, but that's easier said than done.

My MFP goal is 1730,but I don't mind 100 over or under.
  • jakemg
    jakemg Posts: 42
    Options
    I actually feel the same way because I just want to stay under every day. It's nice to have the Android (or iPhone) app because you can kind of check throughout the day and keep snacking and meals in check. I don't think going over a little bit is a huge deal. If I do, I just go hit the exercise bike for a half hour and earn those calories back. I think it's also important to not make it a habit to go over too much too often, or the purpose of MFP is defeated.

Long story short, it's no biggie to go over by a few calories, but I understand the feeling of wanting to be under every day. You can always offset those calories by taking a walk or any other kind of short exercise. :)