MFP Runners-September 17

Options
Good Morning, All!

Today I did my lower body, back and abs strength training. Then, because I am officially addicted to running, I did a quick 2 miles on the treadmill.

I have a question for those of you who strength train. Do you run on the same day as you strength train or do you alternate days? If I don't run daily (with a day off sometimes), I feel like I need to do more, like strength training is not enough. Does anyone else feel this way and how do you alternate between running and weight training?

Thanks and have a Wonderful Wednesday!

Replies

• FitMomof3
    Options
    Good Morning, All!

Today I did my lower body, back and abs strength training. Then, because I am officially addicted to running, I did a quick 2 miles on the treadmill.

I have a question for those of you who strength train. Do you run on the same day as you strength train or do you alternate days? If I don't run daily (with a day off sometimes), I feel like I need to do more, like strength training is not enough. Does anyone else feel this way and how do you alternate between running and weight training?

Thanks and have a Wonderful Wednesday!
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    Great job on your workout! I got a swim in today and I teach spinning and will go to boot camp tonight.

I do stregnth training about 3 days a week. I do some type of cardio everyday, so it's usually the same day. I lifted weights all throughout high school and college because I was in volleyball, basketball and swimming. In college, I played basketball and we lifted all the time. I am the type of person who gets really bulky when I lift. Lately I have switched to a stregnth band and a lot of body weight exercises. Try to switch it up.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    going to hit the bike today -- prob 10-15 miles and then some strength training.. just getting my lazy butt up and moving this afternoon when all I want is a nappy nap... :yawn:

Happy trails!

Fit Mom -- have heard that it is best to strength train on the days you run to allow a proper rest between your running. However, I mix it up and sometimes I do it on the same and other not.. but when I do strength train the day prior to running my legs take a bit longer to stretch out and warm up.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Great job ladies!

I got in a 4 mile run this morning and I did a little bit of weights.

Have a good day!
    Mireille
  • Slender1
    Options
    Helloooo runners!

I'm back. :)

Today was my first day running, and I went to sprint class. We did:

1-mile warm-up
    10 100s
    1.5-mile cool down

I am sore but I survived. :)

Happy running!
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Good Morning runners:

No run for me today. Did my physio exercises, then a short Yoga flex and abs from Ten Minute Trainers.

FitMom: I don't run on the same day as strength training, unless it is for a warm up. Then I try to do a 20 minute interval run. If you do both on the same day, I have been advised, to split it up; do one in the morning and the other later in the day. However, if you have the energy, and are not too burned out after, go for it!
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    I had great time at training group last night. We did a tempo run working on speed.

Fit Mom - I always did some cardio before I lifted weights to warm up. But I don't think I could do strength training and a long run in one day :smile:
    Bunny
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon, runner friends.

Ran 4 miles today. What a gorgeous day to be outside running in the mid-Atlantic! Fall is in the air!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Hello, Runners!! Late checkin, but I did an early run!! 6 miles... so that brings me to 15 miles already this week!! I don't normally run 3 days in a row, but my buddies are marathon training so I joined them again today.

Strength training tonight- Back & BicepsX. I prefer to run early AM, and work out w/ my dh when he gets home from work, around 4:30. It works well for me. I don't *always* do cardio the same day, but if I do, then I work out around that time. I typically strength training (P90X) 3x a week. It works well for me!

Jess
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Started in June at running for 30 secs.
    Today I was able to run for 3m15s straight!
    I'm on my way to being a runner!!! YAY!!

PLUS my workout buddy agreed to run with me twice a week from now on!
    DOUBLE YAY!!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    No work out for me. I think I have an injury I may need to go see a doctor about. At first my shin hurt alot but it was always on the side. Now my pain has moved to the back of leg under my calf. It feels like my achielles tendon is burning all the time. (this just started yesterday but it still hurts) Can your achielles tendon get tendonitis?:grumble:
  • granola_girl
    Options
    I ran hills today, I have a hard time with those workouts! I am so excited, my trainer just started teaching Zumba, so I am going to her class for the first time tonight, before I lift! Has anyone else tried Zumba? Is it suppose to be a good work out?
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Evening!

Got 4.6 in tonight! :drinker: Sooooo don't like running when it gets dark. Fraid of critters, the boogie man & mostly falling on my *kitten*! :laugh:

Granola ~ Welcome!

Haven't tried Zumba, but I've seen it mentioned a lot on the boards. :smile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    No work out for me. I think I have an injury I may need to go see a doctor about. At first my shin hurt alot but it was always on the side. Now my pain has moved to the back of leg under my calf. It feels like my achielles tendon is burning all the time. (this just started yesterday but it still hurts) Can your achielles tendon get tendonitis?:grumble:

Yes, that could be Achilles tendonitis. Does it hurt to point & flex? Does it only hurt while running? I would see a Dr., try some Advil/ naproxen and ice it!! I've had it and it takes a good 6 weeks to recover from!

Jess
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,362 Member
    Options
    Okay, it's 10:30 pm and I finally got a run in. That is the problem with not hearing the alarm and getting the run in before work:angry:
    I ran 5 mi. and walked .5 for a cool down. It was so good to have quiet, alone time!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Yes, that could be Achilles tendonitis. Does it hurt to point & flex? Does it only hurt while running? I would see a Dr., try some Advil/ naproxen and ice it!! I've had it and it takes a good 6 weeks to recover from!

Jess

Sorry for getting back to you late Jess, I ran this morning after a rest yesterday and I think it is a severe shin splint. I can point and flex and no pain. The only pain I really have is my shin when I run. I will contine to ice it and see what happens.
  • granola_girl
    Options

Jess

Sorry for getting back to you late Jess, I ran this morning after a rest yesterday and I think it is a severe shin splint. I can point and flex and no pain. The only pain I really have is my shin when I run. I will contine to ice it and see what happens.

My DH has bad shin splints too... he uses a taping method in x's, he has found it is the only thing that releives his pain. Here is a website: http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/shinsplints/taping.php I am not sure if it will help :)