Horse riding

Options
blobby10
blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
I recently began riding again and as I haven't got a HRM at the moment am guessing at calories burned but would welcome some input from the more experienced people on MFP!

I ride for about 1.5 hours a time, sometimes up to 3 but lets work on 1.5 and most of that is steady trotting, some cantering, little walking. (I'm trying to get the horse fit!). I have guessed at 200 calories per session - I'm 5ft 9 169lbs and 42 years of age (female!)

Does these seem about right?

Thanks for any help,

B x

Replies

• SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have only rode a horse once and I felt like I worked every muscle in my body. Arms, legs, core, it felt awesome... until I fell off and bruised my ribs and shoulder ^.^ Anyway, I'm not really sure how many calories I burned, but it felt like I burned a lot haha. Could be that it was a new thing and that's why I was so sore, but definitely felt like a great workout.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I think your estimate might be a little low. I wear a bodybugg and I include gromming etc in my calculations -- it takes a lot of elbow grease to curry off a bunch of mud! : ) I don't know if your ride western or english (or if that makes a difference) -- but when I am riding I do a lot of work in two point or half seat which and I jump. On average I think I burn around 350-400 calories while on the horse and another couple hundred grooming. Hope that helps.
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have worn my HRM when riding. I rode for about an hour, and I burned almost 400 calories, and I'm probably far less fit than you, so that would be about right, or maybe even a little too low.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I just used a calorie burn calculator where I put 90 min and your weight into the calculator and used trotting and it came up with 745 calories.. I guess you could figure out how much of that 90 min you were doing trotting.. they also had galloping.... here is the website if you want to do it yourself!

http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calculator.cgi

here is another website that has other numbers you can use too.

http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm
  • wendyleffingwell
    Options
    If you search under cardiovascular exercise under horse you will get grooming, and horseback will get you the riding at different speeds for a guideline.
  • peytjalmom
    peytjalmom Posts: 76
    Options
    "Horseback riding" is in the MPF's EXERCISE database. It gives choices of walking, trotting etc. and gives a good idea where to start.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It appears that I may be underestimating the calories used..................! Another excuse to get a HRM

B xx