samphire suggestions?

Options
melaniecheeks
melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
I bought some samphire this morning at a market - any suggestions as to what to do with it?

Replies

• Ynnep1000
    Ynnep1000 Posts: 24
    Options
    What is it?
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I have not heard of samphire.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Wikipedia says that people sometimes eat it as salad with oil and vinegar.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Have it with fish - it's awesome - makes it taste like the sea (in a good way!). I would probably either stirfry it or boil it and serve it with a bit of butter and garlic!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Samphire is sea asparagus- it grows near coastal regions in the UK (Not sure about US).

I Love it too- here are a cuple of ideas:

- sauteed with garlic, olive oil & served with lemon juice & parmesan cheese shavings.

- Make a dressing with olive oil, white wine vinegar, lemon juice- add some chopped chilli & feta cheese and mix through the samphire.

- Samphire & goats cheese filo tartlet. Use about 2 sheets of filo pastry, spray with oil spray and scrunch the sides up together to make a bag. Add some green pesto in the bottom, some wilted spinach, the samphire and top with a little crumbled goats cheese.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    duplicate
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    In the end I cooked some bacon, cut it into pieces, fried cubes of cooked potato in the bacon fat, added some halved cherry tomatoes, and stirred the samphire in the frying pan for a minute or so. Mixed everything together with a dash of olive oil and black pepper, served with a warm soft boiled egg on top, and a lemon wedge.

It was absolutely fantastic - and fiance who is quite a fussy eater also thought it splendid. Will definitely buy it again.